Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Signed up for Ironman Tahoe!

Posted by Rachel

Don't let the title fool you. I did sign up for Ironman Tahoe.... but as a volunteer. If you've never signed up to volunteer at an Ironman, believe me when I tell you it's more complicated than applying for a job. I had no idea what I was doing, or how they could possibly need a week's worth of volunteers, but I finally settled for a 9:30 am - 6:00 pm shift at running aid station 1 on the day of the race. I'll probably be hungry and tired at the end, and I hope that other volunteers aren't lame because that's actually a pretty long day!

This year they are doing a 70.3 at the same time as the 140.6. Many people from our "team" are doing it, but I decided to go with volunteering instead. Here are my reasons for volunteering instead of participating:

1.) This one goes without saying, but I really appreciate volunteers at all the races I do.

2.) I get to immerse myself in an Ironman experience without actually having to do one (yet). I anticipate I'll be learning quite a lot.

3.) The altitude at Tahoe is too high, and I like to be able to breathe while I'm racing. No joke, one time I passed out running 1/4 mile at high altitude in Yellowstone park. It was summertime and I was dehydrated, but it's still not something I'd like to repeat. My sister had to run through a pack of buffalo to go get me some gatorade. On the plus side, needing medical attention really helped pass the time until Old Faithful's next eruption.

You're welcome, family. If it weren't for me we wouldn't have been here for this!

4.) I'm setting my sights on a fall marathon (November), so after August I'm going to be primarily a runner for a short time. A 9/21 triathlon doesn't fit well into that plan.

That's all for my quick update!

9 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha I love picturing Kristen running through a herd of buffalo in search of electrolytes... that's sibling love right there.

    I also want nothing to do with a race at elevation, but I will look into volunteering with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo volunteering for this sounds like it could be fun :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love the Yellowstone story! Don't forget our other failed elevation run in CO at Mark's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Edit: Your loving sister (and aunt... Becky was there too) who ran / speed walked through a herd of buffalo and hot springs. It was like a 'choose your own horrible adventure'.

    It was a little disheartening when on the way back with lots of gatorade and water an ambulance sped past us. We had the simultaneous reaction of 'Yup, we were too slow.'

    Pros: Old Faithful was pretty cool, and the medic was also really attractive.
    Cons: no one got said medic's number, and there were no bear sightings

    After weighing the pros and cons, you are probably correct choosing to not compete in Tahoe. Plus volunteering will give you good Ironman karma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I remember correctly the Yellowstone mud pots do NOT smell very good either...so with the smells, the buffalo and the elevation, it sounds like quite an adventure for the fam! I am pretty impressed that Kristen and Becky had the guts to run near/through the buffalo (they can run up to 40 mph and are MASSIVE).

    Kristen, I am a little disappointed that you did not get the medic's number ;).

    -Sandi (on the fence about signing up to compete or volunteer in Tahoe)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say having to hang out with the medic wasn't bad. I do not remember Bec or Kristen running through a herd of Buffalo and believe me when I tell you meandering with them is way easier than actually visiting the city of Buffalo. That is scary....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mom! Thanks for entering the blog comment world!

      Delete
  7. That is a LONG day! Do they feed your or anything? If I volunteer for an ironman, it will definitely be as a wetsuit stripper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question... I hope they feed us, otherwise I may need to bring my own Gu! (Can't steal it from the triathletes, of course.) I would be afraid to be a wetsuit stripper, with my top 3 fears being (in no particular order): (1) what if I ruin someone's chance to make Kona because I stripped them too slow, (2) what if I break someone's wetsuit, and (3) what if I accidentally grab someone inappropriately while I'm trying to grab their wetsuit.

      Delete