Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Goal pace running on a treadmill

Posted by Sandi

Let me share a little more background information about the group. As previously mentioned, we get to train in an amazing region with an ideal climate. However, the majority of us grew up on the east coast, so theoretically we should be accustomed to training in all types of weather. This is not the case!

I had planned on a track workout this evening, but the today's forecast was meek with a 100 percent chance of rain and a high of 51 degrees. I realize I shouldn't complain as the east coast has been hammered with a nasty winter this year, and the northern midwestern states are still covered in snow. But, sadly, California has made me soft. In addition, I have been pretty exhausted from our group training ride this weekend. I spent most of the day dreading the workout and ultimately opted for a goal pace training run inside. While I am not a huge fan of treadmill running, sometimes it's necessary.

I went straight to the gym after work with the goal of running 8 miles total; 1 warm up, 6 at goal pace, and 1 cool down. Thankfully, there was an open treadmill in my favorite area of the gym where there is a single row of treadmills with good air flow. The workout started great! It had been two days since I last ran and I could tell that I had benefited from the rest. I was nearly half way through the workout when things took a turn for the worse. Although there were at least half a dozen empty treadmills in the row, a heavyset man decided to run on the treadmill right next to me! I grew more anxious and uncomfortable as time went on. As he stomped his way through his workout I felt more and more claustrophobic. I couldn't tell how fast he was going but he seemed to be matching my cadence.  I struggled to clear my mind, determined to finish the workout. Somehow, I was able to divert my focus and successfully finish the 8 miles.

Tomorrow is a swim day!

1 comment:

  1. Love the header! I used to hate the treadmill so much, and now I love it as much as I used to hate it. It's crazy how quickly we adapt to climates - it took me about one winter in Maryland to get soft and think 30 degrees is "cold". Well done on the track workout!

    ReplyDelete