Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Race Report: Boston Marathon (Part 2)

Posted by Sandi

As I had mentioned in my last post, Will and I arrived in Boston on Thursday afternoon, leaving me with a few days for a couple of short shake-out runs and final race day preparations. In consideration of last year’s horrific events, this year’s Boston Marathon held greater meaning for all of the runners, volunteers, and spectators. On a personal note, this is the first marathon that my family planned to come and spectate. My parents arrived on Friday evening, Chen arrived on Saturday morning and my sister and brother in-law arrived on Sunday afternoon.

After Chen arrived on Saturday, we met up and went together to the marathon expo. With our runners passports in hand we entered the cordoned bib and packet pickup line. We waited in anticipation as a friendly volunteer went over a detailed recap of the course with the runners immediately ahead of us. Once we picked up our bibs, packets and shirts, we headed into the largest, most amazing and overwhelming expo I have ever seen. First, we wandered through the official Adidas race gear section and then headed over to the other merchants. There were so many vendors and so many people! Yes, I should have expected the large crowd, but it was busier than I could have imagined. I have to give a shout out to Brooks for their set up with mechanically operated running manikins elevated above the expo and faux port-a-potty fitting rooms (super cool). Attempting to exit the expo was an experience similar to exiting Ikea (no joke).

Chen and me infront of the Boston Marathon banner.
 On Sunday, Chen and I went out to get pre-race food, fluids and additional throw away clothing. We checked out with two loafs of bread, bananas, apples, half-sour pickles (which I am told are quite rare) and vitamin enhanced water with what we thought were sports bottle tops. We were planning to fill the sports topped bottles with diluted Gatorade for the beginning of the race. Then we headed over to CVS in search of cheap throw-away (donation) clothing, where we found $6 sweatshirts!

Once we got back to the hotel we prepared our race attire. We each had brought outfit options for race day knowing the weather forecast could change. I planned to wear Boston booty(ish) shorts I bought for the race, which have one small pocket for nutrition.  Knowing this, I had picked up a Nathan’s fuel belt at the expo for the race. Chen and I both put on our race day attire and went for a jog down the hotel’s hallway where we met friendly hotel staff who were kind enough not to laugh at us and even congratulated us and wished us luck for the upcoming race. Next step was to drink the vitamin water so we could reuse the bottles. Unfortunately, what we thought was a sports bottle top was actually a vitamin powder filled capsule that released its contents into the water when you twisted it. The enhanced water tasted like medicinal, citrus flavored vodka…yuck. We engineered sports tops by poking a hole in the cap with a safety pin!


Chen modifying the bottle cap for a make-shift sports bottle.
Fast forward to race day morning. My alarm went off at 6 am. Shortly after, we adorned our race day attire and started our pre-race carb feast. Will stayed in bed with pillows shielding his face from the lights as Chen and I continued readying ourselves for the race ahead. Once Will awoke we turned on the TV for live coverage of the race start in Hopkinton. Just before we left for the South Street lot, my parents came over to wish us luck before the race.
 After we were dropped off at the South Street lot, we entered into security checkpoint lines. The security guards were armed with a sensor that, oddly enough, was set off by GU…go figure. We were glad to get out of the cold and onto the heated bus that took us over to Athletes’ Village. On our way to the Village, we overheard the man across the aisle from us telling the runner next to him that he is an Ironman…so awesome. Neither of us wanted to admit that we were eaves dropping, so we did not ask the many questions that we had for him.

Athletes’ Village was remarkable! There was a large tent in the center of the Village with bagels, coffee, and water made available to the runners. Thankfully, the Village was surrounded by port-a-potties. The wait for our wave and corral seemed endless, but eventually we headed over to the race start. One of the unique aspects of the Boston Marathons is the start; you walk up to the starting mat and just start running.
Chen and I started the marathon together, and initially the make-shift bottles were promising.  It was strange to be surrounded by runners all running the same pace. The first four miles or so were net downhill with some unexpected climbs. Every time we went downhill you could see what looked like an unsurpassable wall of spectators and runners (in a word, daunting). Too many splits to recap so I will provide check point updates and average paces.

24:30                     5k                           (7:53)

49:53                     10k                         (7:57)

1:14:17                  15k                         (7:58)

1:39:30                  20k                         (8:00)

This is about the time when Chen ghosted out on me. What does this mean? It’s a term Chen created to describe the act of intentionally blending into the crowd so your running buddy cannot find you.

1:44:50                  13.1m                    (8:00) 

At about 14.3 miles, I spotted my husband and family! It was so great to see them as I neared the dreaded Newton hills. 

Picture of me as I continue onward.

Family Cheering Squad.

2:03:58                  25k                         (7:58)

2:29:27                  30k                         (8:01)

2:55:48                  35k                         (8:05)
At the top of heartbreak hill I recognized the cheers from my college friends who came to cheer for the marathon! Unfortunately, I heard them after I passed so I had to turn and wave to say a quick hello and thank you. This was also about the time when I opened my third GU and quickly realized that I was in trouble…my body started rebelling and refused to take in nutrition and fluids. I resorted to pouring water over my head to cool off. 

I thought the hills were over after 21 miles, but I was wrong.  As I climbed yet another hill just before the 23 mile mark, I acquiesced and gave myself a 30 second walking break.  The 30 seconds went by all too quickly and I started running again…3.2 miles to go. 

3:21:59                  40k                         (8:08)

3:33:17                  26.2m                    (8:09)

Finally, the race was over and all I wanted was to find my husband, but I had to get through the finish chute first. Glad to be walking and not running, I made my way over to the volunteers handing out medals and capes. Once I had both, I stopped to stretch my calves, and that’s when my breathing became shallow, I started shaking and my lower legs started cramping. I must have looked like death because one of the volunteers came up to me offered me water and a wheel chair ride to the medical tent.

Fast forward, after some necessary time in the shade and some electrolytes, I made my way towards my family and friends.
In closing, I am truly grateful to have had the opportunity to run in the 2014 Boston Marathon!  All in all it was an amazing day, and if you didn’t pick up my hints at my current condition, I am sick and a bit sore. The week ahead will be filled with work, rest and some light cross training. 

Post-race lobster roll, fries and celebratory glass of Zinfandel from Anderson Valley.
 -Sandi

5 comments:

  1. IKEA comparison = true
    ghosting- perfectly described
    family cheering = awesome
    wine- why no margarita??

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, the margarita happened way before dinner, Will told my post was excessively long, so I had to cut that part out :).

      -Sandi

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed that you kept pace and stayed so strong through that heat! For some reason, while I was fading fast and watching my pace drop precariously, I kept remembering a random conversation Rachel and I were having when she told me "Sandi is tough." It kept repeating to me over and over, and I knew you'd have a strong finish :). Such a great weekend - so happy to have spent it with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one of the hardest races EVER :)! Turns out I still need to fine tune my listening skills when it comes to my body trying to tell me something. So glad you were there with me!

      -Sandi

      Delete
  3. Hey Macgyver,

    A few of things...

    1.) I love the blog! Awesome job everyone!

    2.) Thank you so much for giving us a great reason to be spectators at the Boston marathon this year. The spirit and support at this event was so beautiful to experience.

    3.) So awesome to see you and the family and great to meet Chen. :)

    4.) Best of luck to your west coast crew with training for the Ironman 2015! Very exciting!

    Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

    ~Christina

    ReplyDelete