Saturday, May 3, 2014

Trek Domane- my new bike!

Posted by Rachel 

So I finally got a new bike! I test rode about 4-5 different brands and models and went with the Trek, which I love! I’m not really that into cycling so I’m not going to extensively review it (mostly because I don’t have the technical knowledge to provide quality information), but it’s definitely the most comfortable bike I’ve ever rode (thank you carbon + good engineering) (far more comfortable than my Specialized Dolce Sport). The components are also nicer and I don’t feel like I’m fighting the bike as much. The question people always want to know is “is it faster?”, and since I’m a fairly quantitative person I’ll provide some insight here. My commute home from work is a good benchmark because I do it often, although there are variables in headwind, stoplights, and temperature. On Wednesday I did my first ride home on the new bike and it was about 0.5 mph faster than my previous commutes (it was also hotter- 90 degrees, but I’m not sure if the heat slowed my pace). So basically, I do think it’s faster, but it’s not launching me to victory in cycling or anything like that. That’s actually one of the reasons cycling is my least favorite triathlon sport- because you can pay for speed and advantages. Sure, the good cyclists train very hard, but I much prefer sports with minimal equipment. It should be just you and your suffering that determine your performance, hence my love of swimming and running :) I also want to give props to Cycle Sports in Oakland if any East Bay-ers are reading this because they were great to work with, know a TON about bikes, and really take care of you after your purchase!

To further break in my new bike, Travers took us on a ridiculous, 45 mile bike ride with 4300 feet of climbing on the peninsula (from Millbrae BART). The worst part by far was the downhill, which took place on a busy road with a highly variable shoulder (by highly variable, I mean that at times it did not exist). I can safely say I will NEVER do this ride again, although I wouldn’t mind repeating the post-ride Chipotle burrito and Patron margarita (finding a Chipotle that serves tequila was a huge win). Luckily, on the aforementioned terrifying downhill, there was a vista point where we could pull over and regroup. I’ll document the ride with a picture from that.

This serene photo does not properly reflect the misery of the ride

And of course, my new toy!

During the summers, our second bedroom gets converted from guest room to tri gear storage room. This is quite practical since we don't actually ever have guests.

Closing stray thoughts:
-The Warriors are killing me right now. You would think as a Bills/Sabres fan, I'd be highly accustomed to this.
-On the way home from work yesterday we heard "woomp there it is" on the radio. It made me feel old. That and not getting ID'ed for my margarita at Chipotle today.

5 comments:

  1. It's a shame that ride wasn't an actual event with swag or some sort of medal. :P

    -Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new toy is so pretty! Can't wait to see it in person.

    And I'm ever so grateful that I was not present for your Saturday ride. I might never have ridden again after an experience like that. Not even Chipotle could convince me otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird, I've never seen a Chipotle that did NOT serve tequila. Click the link in my name. They have maximized the deliciousness of their margaritas. And it's not required to ride 45 miles on a bike to get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link to your name shows nothing. And the 45 mile bike ride cancels out all the calories, so while not a requirement, it's a smart move :p Calories don't just disappear in most people like they somehow do in you, you know.

      Delete