Sunday, May 18, 2014

Volunteering with a view (and weekend workouts)

Posted by Rachel

To avoid boring everyone, I won't go into too much detail about what a productive weekend I had. I'll just show some pictures as a quick update on my weekend workouts and miscellaneous.

Yesterday (Saturday) we went on a 40ish mile bike ride in the East Bay hills. Traffic was minimal and the views were great. I really enjoyed the ride, especially compared to our near death experience on the peninsula a couple weeks ago.

Up in the hills of Tilden Park, wearing 3 different shades of blue
The reason we ride- steak sandwich and iced chai at Stags. Oh yeah, and to train for our future Ironman.
 
Then, this morning the Ibergs and I wanted to get a run in before our volunteering time slot, so we started running at 5:30 am (yes, you saw that right.... on a weekend) to complete a hilly 9 miler before our 7:15 am assignment. The run went pretty well and I actually suggested we come back and double the route for a long run sometime. I'm not really sure what has happened to me, but now that I'm putting that into writing it sounds like a terrible idea. Anyway, then we got a water stop near some great views. 
 
View over Orinda and the reservoirs

Good morning, SF bay
This was my first time working water and it was a little bit stressful, especially when the fastest guys were coming by. Who knew they would go at the water with such force? Otherwise it was fun cheering and hydrating people. 

To round out this multi-sport post, I'll leave you with a picture of me open water swimming (kind of).
 



 Why am I including this picture? Well, we finally got those crappy disposable under water camera photos from our honeymoon developed (yes, it was in November 2012) so I figured I'd throw in a swimming pic for good measure. My favorite sport has been highly underrepresented in my blog posts, anyway. To leave you with a cliff hanger, I found a new home for my old bike. More on that later!

3 comments:

  1. Wow 5:30am on a weekend, that my friends is heroic. I love that inspiration point area to run, Matt, Justin, Michelle and I did that run as part of a brick before Folsom! Though not that far clearly because we were training for a sprint... Sounds like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only run at 5:30am when forced to (i.e., by a race start time). You guys are craycray. Looking forward to joining you guys for the next East Bay hills ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The views during the run ALMOST made the early run time worth it ;). JK. I love running early! I had an awesome time volunteering too even though Christine dissed us by refusing to take water from the girls...she was super grateful to see Will there :p. Congrats to all the finishers (Rock Stars) who toughed out the course! I am still disappointed that our sag vehicle passed and crossed the finish line before the last runner (we were not driving and would never have done that).

    -Sandi

    ReplyDelete