Sunday, March 29, 2015

Rachel's IM Canada training: week 7 (of 24)

Posted by Rachel

Well, it's step back week again, except this time I'm not entirely sure that I earned it. That's ok though, I'm going to take it anyway :) My sister is coming to visit next weekend so why waste time working out? Plus, the following three weeks are going to have some legit training, including my first century ride, replacing an easy trainer ride with a bike commute, and adding an extra spin. Hello, biking.

But let's focus on this week first. This week I had not one but TWO social dinners. My flourishing social calendar (/sarcasm) resulted in shuffling workouts around a little bit, but I hadn't planned to run hard or long anyway to allow for recovery from our extra long long run last week. Here's a recap of my week:

Monday
48 min spin on the stationary bike at the gym, mostly easy.

Tuesday
am- 4200 yards, mostly easy except a 9 x 200 @ 3:00 at the end of the workout where I finally got my butt in gear and broke 2:40 for the last 4
pm- 5 mi easy run, legs felt surprisingly good (I would have gone longer but had to get my bike from the shop before 7:00. So of course, I ran there, carrying my helmet like a running back carries a football. I'm sure I looked cool.)

Wednesday
1 hour trainer ride/ Trainer Road diamond workout

Thursday
5.5 mile am run (no watch- legs felt great but body rebelled with a pit stop and side stitch; running is the only sport I really struggle with in the morning if I don't wake up at least an hour before beginning said sport)

Friday
3600 yard master's swim practice. This swim felt great and my times were solid. Yay swimming :)

Saturday
My 2nd brick / 50 mi bike - 10 mi run of the cycle. This one was pretty similar to the first (except I got to do it with a buddy- great workout, Chen!). First we rode 49+ miles with ~ 3900 ft of climbing at 13.8 mph, then a 10 mile run at 8:32 pace. Considering we ran a marathon 6 days ago, this workout went pretty well!

Sunday
In the future, I'm supposed to take advantage of brick weekends by using Sunday to open water swim. I've been kind of sleepy all week, so I decided forget it, I'll sleep in instead. I should probably get a few OWS in before my 5k in June, but in the meantime, we all know what I do on rest days!

Banana pancakes: there are very few weekend days in IM training where there is time to make breakfast!

My fave- homemade pasta!

So in summary, instead of exercising I ate. And I'll do the same thing next week. And then I'll really get back on track with training. (Ok, so I'm not SO far off track but I should probably do some weekday runs longer than 6 mi and do > 0 core exercises.) 

4 comments:

  1. Um... You totally deserve step back week. I don't know what you're talking about. Also, I literally laughed out loud at your "flourishing social calendar" comment. And aaggghhh so jealous of your banana pancakes and homemade pasta!!

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm banana pancakes. I thought I was the only one who took full advantage of those for optimal recovery ;) Good luck on your century ride coming up!

    -Trevor from TrainerRoad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm banana pancakes. I thought I was the only one who took full advantage of those for optimal recovery ;) Good luck on your century ride coming up!

    -Trevor from TrainerRoad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trevor- Thanks for your comment! I'm not really a cyclist but I'm working on getting better and I'm loving Trainer Road so far!

      Delete