Monday, March 30, 2015

Katie's IM Canada Training: Weeks 1-3 (ie Hanging in there)

Posted by Katie

As I mentioned, Matt and I are trying this new plan, found on the interwebs at BeginnerTriathlete.com (seems innocuous enough right?). Training has been challenging both in terms of fitting it all in with full time jobs and long commutes, and also with injuries not allowing me to run.

On the injury front, I have a diagnosis of partially torn MCL and meniscus from my lovely skiing pretzel fall a few weeks back. The good news is this is nothing major, and my knee joint, though swollen and painful, is not unstable in any way. The bad news is there is sort of a murky recovery schedule for these types of things and by ironman training I am most certainly pushing the boundaries of the "recommended" recovery exercises. My lower back is also still sort of an issue, probably because I stopped all exercises for my back when I injured my knee. So in summary it is still a little bit day-by-day, but in general both my knee and back and getting better (at a frustrating slow pace), but hey at least I am moving in the right direction!

Week 1:
Monday
Stationary Bike-45min

Tuesday
Swim, 1900y (Main set 1x1500)

Wednesday
Elliptical-45min

Thursday
Swim, 1400 (Main Set 8x100)
Stationary Bike-30min intervals

Friday
Elliptical-30min
*Threw back out while picking up dog... seriously!? how old am I? 100?

Saturday
RICE

Sunday
Swim, 1700 (Main set 3x400)

In week 1 I skipped the long run and long ride, but was pleasantly surprised that I was able to do the elliptical without too much knee pain. Friday I picked up Kona (50lbs) without bending my knees.. because you know... they hurt... and boom my entire lower back seized up. Immediately after we drove up to Tahoe, so of course sitting in the car for 4 hours only made things worse and I spent all of Saturday on the couch in pain watching documentaries. In other news, I am thisclose to becoming a vegetarian after watching Food Inc.
Pie for Pi Day!
Week 2:
Monday
REST

Tuesday 
Swim, (Main set 10x100, descend 1-5, 6-10)

Wednesday
Stationary Bike, 55min intervals

Thursday
Elliptical 45min
Swim, 2300 (Main Set 2x1000)

Friday
Elliptical, 45min

Saturday
Swim, 2900 (Main set 4x500) with Chen and Matt
Trainer, 60min

Sunday
Bike ride in Oakland, flat 32mi with Matt and Mark

In week 2, I again skipped the long run but was able to complete everything else and felt like I had finally started to hit my stride a little. The 10x100 workout I really liked, descends are the best! The Saturday swim was also fun because Chen joined us, and we realized we are all somewhat close in pace. I also learned that stationary bike does NOT equal road bike as far as you bum is concerned. I foolishly did my first trainer ride and then outdoor ride back to back, and wooooo did my bum hurt on sunday. Not to self, Ironman is all about training your bum to sit uncomfortably for long stretches of time.  
Trainer essentials: Coffee and dog treats (for the dog, not me)
Week 3: aka Swim week
Monday
Rest

Tuesday
Masters Swim, 3000m (random amount of 100s while trying not to get lapped)

Wednesday
Masters Swim, 3000m (less frantic, 200s)

Thursday
Elliptical 45min

Friday
Masters Swim, 3000m (Main Set 16x50 every 4th fast, 12x50 every 3rd fast, 8x50 every other fast)

Saturday
Route 1 cycling, 34mi, 2000ft gain

Sunday
Open water swim, 1.17mi
Trainer 60min

In week 3 I was traveling for work and naively thought that since I didn't have 2 hours of commuting, a dog to walk, or other chores that I would have lots of time to sleep and exercise (boy was I wrong). The training class went from 8am-6pm and then there was a group dinner afterwards usually lasting until 9pm. I was able to wake up super early and get a workout in every morning but 2-a-days were out.

Work training class essentials: So many liquids (H2O, Coffee, OJ) + best muffins ever (Daily Grind, Santa Barbara)
I decided to try the local masters swim while traveling, as they had the best hours for my schedule 6am-7:15am.  The first day I showed up and the very nice coach informed me that it was IM day (ie all the strokes), and the lane times are 1:45, 1:50, etc. First, I warned him that I was new to swimming and only really felt comfortable with freestyle, no problem he says. Then I say "I am usually about 1:45 for a 100y so that seems like a good lane". Cool he says, go for it. My first indication that this was a huge mistake should have been that this lane that I picked was 4 over from the wall (in my only other Masters swim experience, Matt and I were put in the "bucket lane" ie the wall). Secondly, what I didn't realize was that 1:45 meant 100 ON the 1:45 not 100 IN 1:45. Therefore everyone else in the lane was completing the 100 in 1:30ish, resting, and then starting the next... I was swimming has hard as I could with a second or two break in order to not get lapped. Lastly, this was a 50m pool and I have only ever swam in 25y pools so that was um... interesting. After the workout the coach asked how it went and I said "I got my butt kicked" and his response was "well you hung in there, good work". On day 2, I switched over 3 lanes (one away from the wall) and had a much more pleasant experience! I also learned that Weds and Fri would be freestyle only, so no need to worry about trying to do the butterfly (which I can do for about 12 yards before drowning).

Another great discovery of week 3 was Higgins Canyon Road. An off shoot of the 1, Higgins canyon climbs up a reasonable hill and then eventually descends back to Rte 1. There were very few cars, in fact I think we saw more cyclists than cars and the views were stunning! Originally this ride was going to be a 50 miler, but we had a late start and the call of Tacos and Beer was just too strong. Actually I was game for another round on Higgins Canyon but Matt smartly talked me out of it.

Scenes from the ride, pictured bottom left is the hill that Matt wanted to go up and Danielle and I were like um NOPE
34 mi ride + rockfish tacos + hoppy IPA + sunshine > 50mi ride ending in the dark
Hop Dogma in El Grenada (Half Moon Bay area) is my new favorite place to start and end rides on Route 1.

They even serve water in an Erlenmeyer flask!  #nerdlove

We have now arrived to a step back week!

5 comments:

  1. I voted for your pie on facebook! Actually, I just realized I never knew whose pie it was...now the mystery has been solved!

    I really enjoy 100s descend, as well. That bike ride looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for sure I would get your vote with a blueberry pie!

      Delete
  2. I'm really impressed with your first three weeks, especially given all of the obstacles you've had to overcome! And way to keep up in the 1:45 lane at SB masters - I woulda moved over after the first lap, no joke. Nice work!

    I also really liked swimming with you guys at the pool (and at Aquatic Park!), and it's awesome that we're all so similarly paced. It's great to have company, and it'll be even nicer to have company for 100x100 :).

    Can't wait to check out Higgins Canyon Road with y'all!

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! Swimming! By far my favorite sport at the moment.

      Delete
    2. YEAH!! Everyone is coming to realize that swimming is, in fact, the best triathlon sport :)

      Delete