Sunday, March 15, 2015

Rachel's IM Canada training: week 5 (of 24)

Posted by Rachel

I learned a lot of good lessons this week (read on for further detail). Last week was a step back week, and because I reduced the volume I (ignorantly) upped the intensity, especially on the bike and in weight lifting. I suffered early this week. Lesson #1: there is no such thing as 100% during Ironman training. I think intervals in all three sports are important, but from now on 80% will be good enough. 100% effort requires too much recovery.

Here is a recap of my training week, with stories and additional lessons intermingled:

Monday
am- 4400 yard swim
This was the first swim this year where I did not complete the set that I intended to, and I was really grumpy about it. This has happened on occasion before- maybe one day every couple of months where I can't break 1:20 in 100 fr even though my normal cruising pace should be 1:12-1:15. I should have just taken it easier, but I tried to force my body into a set with 8 x 500 total on a decreasing interval (7:30 down to 7:00). I didn't make it to the last 2 on 7:00 before I died. I was cursing and pissed off and two of my training buddies were there trying to encourage me "maybe it's the time change" (which was super nice of them). Anyway, I'm going to keep attempting this set until I defeat it, so stay tuned and I'll publish the full set once it is conquered.
Lesson #2: It's ok to have a bad day! Don't beat yourself up.
pm- 15 mi (?) / 1 hour on the trainer at home  + 15 min P90X "ab ripper"
I didn't put the Garmin on since I always push myself harder when I can see how slow I'm riding I knew my body needed an easy day.

Tuesday 
6.2 miles at the track with 5 x 800 (400 recovery) (times: 3:13, 3:14, 3:13, 3:12, 3:10)
Again, this workout felt a lot harder than I had hoped. The same effort should have given me 3:08-3:10 on all my 800s. So it wasn't significantly terrible, but I just didn't have the same kick as usual. I tried to take it with a grain of salt and not push too hard, thankfully learning from lessons 1 & 2!

Wednesday
60 min spin on the stationary bike with intervals (19.3 mi). Same bike as last week, 0.9 mph slower but didn't want to push myself as hard. Another "meh" workout.

Thursday
am- 45 min strength + core
Taking a lesson from last week, I lifted VERY LIGHTLY this week. This was a great idea. Travers and I have been talking about dropping weights from our rotation, and that's probably what will happen. I would like to keep 2 x core per week, but lifting weights isn't worth if it completely kills my quads for all my Saturday long rides.
pm- 6.6 mile run (8:24)
The first 2 miles felt awful (seriously? is ANY workout this week going to feel good?), but after a short pit stop (Lesson #3- do not eat yogurt RIGHT before a run) miles 3-6 felt great. It's about time! My 6th workout into the week and I finally feel normal again.

Friday
3500 yards at master's swim practice (and my times were back to normal!)

Saturday
85 miles with 6000-6400 ft gain (Garmins not in agreement); 13.7-13.8 mph (Garmin malfunction- not totally sure on the pace). Clearly we are not record-breaking cyclists, but this workout was VERY significant for me. It was the first time in this whole training cycle that I thought "yes, I can finish 112 miles biking". First off, my legs felt great from not killing them with weights on Thursday. It's official-- weights are out for the remainder of IM training. Second, I led the ride and started so slowly that I'm pretty sure it was driving my training partners nuts. But I stayed extra slow/patient and it paid off (I think), and we were able to finish the ride feeling strong. Obvious Lesson #4: pacing on the bike is so so SO important!! In fact, the beginning was SO slow, that we were able to take in the scenery. A bunch of yellow flowers are blooming in Oakland hills and it was amazing!

Left- yellow flowers and green trees! Right- our last group ride with Sandi before she moves to Boston, boo!

It was also HOT Saturday, which I suppose is good training because I've heard the climb out of Pemberton can be hot at IM Canada. I drank 6 bottles of water during the ride, followed it with 2 L when I got home, and I'm still not sure it was enough. Also, I sunscreened my face and arms but not my legs. Lesson #5: Legs burn, too!

Showing my Irish the week of St. Patrick's Day (ie. white people burn, even in March), as the attractive bike shorts tan line begins early this year

Sunday
am-12 mile run at a controlled pace (8:39). This run felt fine and I'm glad I could run after the big ride we did yesterday. There was one thing was was way more exhausting than the run though- wine tasting!
pm- Does biking 5 miles to the winery count as training?! Lesson #6: It is hard to keep up with drinking AND Ironman training!

Just taking a short rest after tasting. Good thing I was down there- I noticed that there was painters tape left under our island from kitchen construction, and also that the floor needed to be swept!

What adventures are in store for next week? My favorite race- the OAKLAND MARATHON! Details coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Correction: Rachel and Sandi were able to finish the ride feeling strong. Chen, meanwhile, was dreaming of baguette and ramen bowls while continually adjusting her seat position and wondering why her legs were malfunctioning.

    Haha thanks again for leading - your pace was indeed perfect; I'll just have to actually listen to your advice to drink and eat more next time.

    Biking to wineries ALWAYS counts!

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't help that we had to stop and get water in a plaza with a delicious ramen shop. But the pizza was glorious.

      On a side note, my mom texted me asking if I color-adjusted the photo of my leg to make it more red. Haha, sadly, no.

      Delete