Sunday, January 4, 2015

Ironman training kickoff weekend in Sonoma

Posted by Rachel

I have a few 2015 "resolutions" that are relevant to this blog:
-make a blog post once per week (on average)
-log all of my activities in Garmin for easier following
-get in shape for an Ironman

NYE-  I think I basically got a bowling PR. My 2nd time in triple digits: 104!

 Happy 2015!

In the spirit of resolutions 1 and 3 above, here is a blog post about IM training kickoff!

At first I thought I'd do a 24 week training plan, starting in February. After I put together the plan, I realized that I would've been ready to get right into it... in August. The disadvantage of having fat drunk (November + December) is that you're not really in shape at all. So I'm beginning IM training now with base building to get back into shape.

On Saturday we did a 36 mile ride in Sonoma. The temp was < 40 degrees when we started and it turns out that is COLD for biking. Really, really cold. But this being California, it warmed up quickly and all of the miles after mile 5 were really pleasant. The scenery was beautiful and we followed the ride with exercising our livers.

We're training hard here, really!

Then Sunday morning I ran a 12 miler with Chen (and part with Sandi! yay for injury recovery!), who is in WAY better running shape than me. I haven't run more than 10 since October and my December max was 8, so I was slightly concerned about finishing. Luckily once the wine hangover passed at mile 8 it was smooth sailing. Too bad all Ironman training won't be this fun :)


1 comment:

  1. Correction: Chen is by no means in "way" better running shape than Rachel. Chen thought she just might vomit between miles 2-7. Luckily, Chen managed to keep her $h!t together (and her scrambled eggs stayed in place).

    Fun times this weekend!

    -Chen (in case it wasn't obvious)

    ReplyDelete