Sunday, January 18, 2015

IM Canada- base building week #2

Posted by Rachel

This was another fun base building week. Work got a little bit long a couple of the days this week and slightly interfered with my workouts, and I'm glad to have been in a base building phase rather than in rigorous training. But, it was a good reminder that sometimes life happens and not doing every single planned workout exactly how I want to surely isn't going ruin 6 months of consistent training.

Here's the recap:

Monday: am-  3500 yard swim (super hard long set, a self-inflicted suffering); pm- 50 min spin on the trainer at home (late meeting conflicted with my usual spin class) + 15 min P90X ab ripper

Tuesday: track workout (6.1 miles total) with 3 x broken 1600 (600 hard-100ez-400 hard-100ez-600 hard)

Wednesday: 60 min spin

Thursday: am- 45 min weights + core; pm- 5 mi easy run (would've liked to do more, but had a last minute work dinner to go to after a long day of meetings)

Friday: 3300 yard master's swim practice

Saturday: 34 mile bike ride with ~3200 ft climbing

Sunday: 16 mile run 

The bad- My legs were pretty dead at the end of last weekend, so my Monday and Tuesday workouts proved extremely difficult. By the time Wednesday rolled around they were back to normal.

The good- 22 days ago, my longest run in a long time was 8 miles. Earlier today, my legs let me run 16 fairly easily at an 8:33 pace. I'm so happy they were cooperative!

 I found a use for my aero bars!

 What's good after a 16 mile run? A party with a taco truck and a huge Pats victory!

So what's next? Well, in the title I say that this is base building week 2, but there is technically a week 0 that I didn't report on. That means I've been building for 3 weeks and it's time for a break. And that break will come in the form of VEGAS next weekend, as well as some shorter workouts during the week. WOO VEGAS!

2 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed that you get so many swim/bike/run workouts in AND you still find time for weights. I need to get on that bandwagon. Also, is that the same taco truck from your wedding weekend?? Mmm lard. - Chen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm doing 1 less swim and 1-2 less runs than you, so that's where the strength fits in :) Not sure about which taco truck it was. All I know is that about 10 people commented on how ginormous my burrito was and I proceeded to eat it ALL.

      Delete