Sunday, January 11, 2015

IM Canada- base building week #1 + the "dark horse"

Posted by Rachel

I'm not sure how many details of my training I'm really going to include on a regular basis, mostly because I don't know if anyone cares to read them. But recently I've been stalking some blogs where the authors did outline their weekly training and I kind of liked it, so I'll list what I did this week.

Mon: am- endurance swim (long sets, 3100); pm- spin class (45 min)  + core class (30 min)
Tue: 7 mile run w/3 tempo
Wed: 45 min spin class
Thur: am- strength + core (45 min); pm- 6 mile run
Fri: master's swim practice (short sets, 3300)
Sat: 50.2 mile bike w/ 3960 ft
Sun: 14 mi run

The week went pretty well and I'm looking forward to this training. Chen had a brilliant idea after we survived the bike ride: eat a LOT.

 Brussels sprouts salad already eaten. Guess how many people all this food was for :)

Now- to the "dark horse". No, not Katie Perry. I found my first unanticipated challenge of winter IM training. Because California is absolutely amazing, it's not snow, ice or cold. It's my January - March seasonal allergy. I've had it EVERY year since I moved to the bay, and I assume it's pine or cedar or some winter tree but I never got it tested. Allegra works fine unless I do something stupid, such as intentionally breathe in the allergens for hours on end. The allergy tips say to "exercise indoors", but what would you do- bike 4 hours on a trainer, or bike on roads that wind through this:


The answer is pretty clear. I'll just have to suck it up, and preferably not go out in public the evening of a long bike ride. Time for some foam rolling and Mad Men.

3 comments:

  1. Such a solid basebuilding week! 10 workouts is a lot - I can't imagine what you'll be doing when we actually start training :-P. Thanks again for taking me on a sweet bike ride, even if it did nearly kill me. Looking forward to the next one! - Chen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the training details, makes me feel like a slacker :). Hopefully it gives me some motivation for next week! - Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap this is just base building?! Two a days all over the place, 50 mile bike rides, and double digit runs? That's a ton of training! I am very impressed and I enjoy the weekly recaps so I can continue to be impressed. Sorry to hear about the allergies, that sucks. I exclusively run on the treadmill now because Maryland doesn't understand how to use salt and also I'm lazy and like to have Netflix entertain me.

    ReplyDelete