Sunday, January 11, 2015

Basebuilding Fun

 Posted by Matt

For me, the winter's basebuilding is going to be all about fun training. The new year started out pretty good. Great Surfing session (I think that's a good substitution for a swim, right?) on New Year's day followed by a great ski tour (definitely a good substitution for a run), a fun day at Kirkwood (a halfway decent quad workout), and a "not-so-great but at least we got a work out in" ski tour, where we decided to start a bit too low and there really wasn't enough snow. But then I got sick and essentially missed the entire next week of doing anything at all. Being sick did help me realize why I sign up for things like this Ironman - each day of not working out made me more and more grumpy. Luckily, I'm back in a better health (and mood) this weekend, and I got a solid weekend of workouts in - 2 more days surfing, a solid night time trail run on the coast and beach, a quick ab workout, and a "warm-up" swim session at the local pool. We moved recently and discovered 2 public pools (and an ocean!) with great hours within a 10 minute drive from our new location - so that was a great find - no excuses for not getting swimming now! On top of all that, the Pats won a fantastic game against the Ravens and are onto the AFC championship! Not a bad weekend at all.

Kona's not impressed with the view of Lake Tahoe from the top of Powerderhouse.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're feeling better! Track this week?? Also, what pools did you find? I'm always looking for other options... - Chen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better! I didn't realize you have been surfing again. It definitely kind of maybe sort of counts as swimming :) But isn't it freezing? Also... yeah Pats!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete