Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2015, here we come

Posted by Matt
 
I somehow thought I would train relatively hard through December and the holidas. But then as excuse after excuse piled up as December went on, - I was still recovering from CIM in early December, work was really busy, there was lots do for the holidays - my training really tapered off. Going home to Boston for a week, I was welcomed by my cousin with a sarcastic, "Welcome to Seattle" and it proceeded to rain for a solid week, which just added another excuse to my list to keep the training low and the eating high. So it wasn't until after Christmas, that I finally got a good workout in. That came in the form of 2 fantastic ski days trying out telemark skiing at Okemo mountain. Telemarking, for those unfamiliar with it, is downhill skiing, but your heel is not attached. In effect, this is essentially constantly doing lunges as you ski down the mountain, and it was a blast. I'm hooked and can't wait to get a pair for myself (I was renting boots and borrowing skis in Vermont). I also got a GoPro camera for Christmas and made a short film of our days at Okemo, which you can see on youtube here:
 
 http://youtu.be/N3XPVSBE7dc

So now it's nearly the new year, my workouts are starting up again, and I'm feeling very motivated to gear up the training heading into the Ironman in July. That training, of course, will consist of lots more ski days (nearly every weekend that we can from now through April), so we'll have to make the most of short weeks and occasionally weekend to fit in the running, biking, and swimming so Katie and I will survive what we have in store for the summer. But I can't wait. Let's do this!
Katie Telemarking at Okemo

2 comments:

  1. Yeah... December is a tough month for training. I wouldn't worry about it :p Looking forward to spending some of those non-skiing, training weekends with you and Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone knows December is for being fat, lazy, and drunk. I don't know why you thought training would fit in there too :-P. Hoping you guys have a great ski season ahead (though also hoping for some non-ski-friendly weekends so that you guys can join for some group rides / runs :-)). Happy new year! - Chen

    ReplyDelete