Sunday, April 26, 2015

Rachel's IM Canada training: week 11 (of 24)

Posted by Rachel

The (training) highlight of this week happened today- my first 100 mile ride! It was an organized ride in Fremont that I would highly recommend to others (Primavera Century). In terms of volume, it didn't seem that much longer than 85 miles, although having 4 rest stops and several meals worth of food during the ride probably helped. In addition to 940 cals of energy food that I carried on the bike, I ate half a banana, 3 bags of chips, a pickle, a sandwich, a cookie, and an ice cream bar. The great thing about biking is that you can eat a lot of solid foods and just keep going. I'm not sure if runners can do this- although, ultra runners, am I wrong?

We love biking on Vineyard Rd!

The rest of the week went well, but I'm looking forward to the step back.

Monday
am- 5000 yard endurance swim (felt great, even at the end!)
pm- 1 hr trainer ride/ Trainer Road Owl (15.2 mi)

Tuesday
8 mile run @ goal marathon pace (7:49) {I have a goal of breaking 3:30 in the marathon someday in my life. However, I will not be running a marathon in 2015 (except in the Ironman)}

Wednesday
Commute, 29.7 miles, ~2400 ft, 13.7 mph. This is the third week doing this ride and each week, the wind gets worse and worse and my pace gets slower and slower. Oh well :)

Thursday
am- 45 min spin class (13 mi) + 15 min core class
pm- 6.5 mile run (8:24)

Friday
master's swim practice (3800 yards). The coach did something really interesting- put a bunch of sprints up front then gave the workout. Normally sprints are at the end; the change-up was challenging but good!

Saturday
12.5 miles (8:26)

Sunday
100 mile ride (~5600 ft, 14.8 mph, 1 billion calories).

Foods eaten after biking that will not be consumed in T2:
Kimchi tacos.

Next week is a multiple of four... which means STEP BACK! I'm going to cook dinner, actually shop for some much needed work tops, and go to Target for some things we're currently lacking (basics such as toothpaste, etc (we're not completely out, don't worry)). It will be glorious.

10 comments:

  1. Nice work on the ride today! Haha I am also looking forward to a Target trip with all my new found time this week. It's the little things :)

    YAY stepback week!!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah step back! who knew IM training and getting to Target were mutually exclusive?!

      Delete
  2. I still don't get how you took pictures during the ride w/o me noticing. Must have been during one of my many brain dead moments.

    I hope Travers' go-pro footage actually makes it somewhere - I bet there are some funny shots!

    Enjoy Target!!!

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Travers,

    I expect a post in the near future consisting of some glorious go-pro footage.

    Sincerely,
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those kimchi tacos were delicious! I'm also looming forward to the step back this week!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those kimchi tacos were delicious! I'm also looming forward to the step back this week!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the go pro footage but I don't know how to edit it or anything. Can anyone recommend some (hopefully free) software?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use GoPro studio (free) and really good for what I have done with it so far.

      -Matt

      Delete
  7. If you have a Mac, iMovie works really well! Otherwise I have no idea... Matt how do you edit go-pro stuff?

    - Alexis

    ReplyDelete