Sunday, April 12, 2015

Katie's IM Canada Training Week 5 (ie time to start eating everything)

Posted by Katie

This week was focus on the bike week and the highlight was trying to figure out how to fuel properly. Matt turned to google, clicked the very first link and we ran the numbers from there. According to our *extensive* research, during the bike portion on an Ironman, you should eat about 1 gu sized serving per 20 minutes plus only drink sports drink in order to get even close to enough carbs/calories/electrolytes to maintain yourself for the bike and run. I would say currently on the bike I eat about 1 gu sized thing (normally in the form of chews) per hour, or per two hours depending on the day. Clearly more calorie consumption on the bike is something I need to practice and something fellow bloggers Rachel and Chen have mentioned. We eventually settled on attempting to gu every 30 minutes on the long ride. Based on our calculations, even with sports drink we will still be far in the negative for electrolytes... I guess this is where those crazy salt tabs come into play?

Matt's solution: Carry a salt shaker (salt WAS accidentally ingested in the making of this photo.)

Hourly requirements (based on gu/15min)
Monday
Swim Speed Day (400, 4x100, 300,3x100, 200, 2x100)

Tuesday
Trainer intervals, 60min using this awesome YouTube video by CTXC

Wednesday
Elliptical, 45min

Thursday
Biked to work! (30mi, 2hr 15min)

Friday
Swim (Main set 10x100)

Saturday
Group ride: Fairfax to Pt. Reyes Lighthouse (lots of rolling hills and wind 75mi, 4,700ft gain)

Sunday
Pool running (aka treading water trying not to look ridiculous) 30min
Swim (500,1100)

I have to say that step up the bike week was actually successful, the commute to work was pretty awesome (though it including lots of route finding) and I plan to write a separate post about that. Saturday's long ride was a huge step up in distance... 75mi compared to a previous 45. I fully expected to feel awful, but surprisingly felt pretty good and was happy with my endurance. I think the fueling every 30 minutes was helpful. There is something to be said about choosing fuel wisely I had: 1 gel, 1 waffle, and 4 chew packages. I think in the future, I will incorporate more waffle-like things, and keep the gel/chew ratio the same.
The view at the turnaround... navigating 20,000 steps in bike shoes was skipped

Who needs a selfie stick when you have long appendages? #kidsthesedays

Scone the size of my face at mile 60... heavenly.

Post ride refuel with health food... naturally.

On the injury front my knee is steadily feeling better and better. I am hoping to get the green light to attempt running soon. Running in the pool with a flotation belt certainly felt like a tough workout, especially on tired legs... but to me it felt more like simulating a pedal stroke than a running workout... maybe I am doing it wrong.

Readers, what is your favorite thing to eat on the bike?


9 comments:

  1. I usually eat Bonk Breakers and drink Infinit. I'll probably stick with this system and go with more Gu/waffles on the run. So far I've done two bricks with this strategy and the digestion aspect seems ok (knock wood!).

    Great job stepping up the bike! I'm glad the 75 miler went well. And even better if you can RUN soon! Although, I know people who have stayed in really good running shape by pool running during injury, so hopefully that works out here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, I tied Bonk Breakers PB&J and was not a fan. I just bought the Apple Pie flavor to see if I liked that better. They stock bonk breakers at Ironman rest stops usually right?

      -Katie

      Delete
    2. They have a coconut cashew which you might enjoy. I also liked almond butter and honey. Apple pie was fine but honestly it tasted like banana to me. We got a mixed package so I tried quite a few... I think they do have them on the IM course. I like how their calories are pretty concentrated so I don't have to eat them that often.

      Delete
  2. 3 things.

    1) Answer: peanut butter crackers! And chews.

    2) I've been thinking about trying to bike to work too, but the route thing is a concern... particularly through Oakland. And how did you get home?!

    3) You rocked it on the bike this weekend! I think ironman training is paying off ;). I could definitely eat more while biking. I wish I'd had time to stop with you guys for gigantic scones, I kind of died on those last 13 miles of mostly gradual uphill...

    - Alexis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Brilliant
      2) I got a ride from a coworker. This week I am attempting the back to back commute... bike home tomorrow leaving car at work... bike in thursday. We'll see how that goes :P
      3) That ride was tough!! I struggled on those last 13mi also and I had the advantage of a nice long break so imagine it must have been really tough for you guys. Next time, scones!

      -Katie

      Delete
  3. I think I'm going full salt shaker. hmm.. salt. Delicious! Great job this week!

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I both loved and hated that ride up to the lighthouse (significantly shorter distance than what you rode). It has amazing views but also terrible head winds and cattle grates...

    Great job! I am so glad to hear that you are starting to feel better & might run soon!

    Also, I LOVE iced animal crackers when I am biking ;).

    -Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were definitely thinking of you guys when we did the ride! My exact thoughts were "I forgot how hard this ride was... oh wait, Sandi planned it.. of course it was hard!"

      Iced animal crackers sound really amazing! I will definitely be getting a jar :)

      Delete
  5. Yay for 75! Did you like the route? If so, I'd be curious to try that one - must have great views at the turnaround!

    I've mostly been eating Honey Stinger Waffles on the bike (and run), but I tried iced animal crackers during the tri, and they worked awesomely. They're also supremely delicious, and definitely cheaper than official energy food. I think I'll be purchasing one of those giant bear-shaped bins shortly.

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete