Sunday, April 19, 2015

Rachel's IM Canada training: week 10 (of 24)

Posted by Rachel

This week was relatively uneventful in terms of training-related things. My weekly summary:

Monday
6.5 miles easy run (no watch). Decided to skip track/tempo to thank my body for a great job at the swim meet :P

Tuesday
Bike commute home from work- 29.7 miles, 14.0 mph, ~2400 ft. The headwind was brutal this week.

Wednesday
am- 5000 yard endurance swim
pm- 1 hour trainer ride/ Trainer Road Bird. I actually had a work dinner at 5:30 pm (3 hours earlier than my normal dinner) and did this interval ride after. I learned that you can bike much easier than run or swim after a large meal. Actually, to be honest, I didn't even notice that I had eaten- no cramps or stomach discomfort.

Thursday
am- 45 min spin class + 15 min core class
pm- 6.5 mile run (8:25)

Friday
3500 yard swim @ master's practice

Saturday
71.7 mile bike ride w/ 6200 ft climbing, 13.8 mph, including the beastly section of Pinehurst TWICE. It actually wasn't that bad, but I began the ride very conservatively.

Since this blog entry is pretty boring, I'll throw some food blogging in. We made some homemade pizzas Saturday that turned out great!




Sunday
20 mile run @ 8:34 pace. I decided to run "hills" (~700 ft total climbing), despite the draw of a gorgeous run along the water (Bay Trail). I should probably have gone slower because my legs were TIRED at the end, but it's too late now. I can try to be more reasonable during my next long run- lesson learned for the IM.

To replace some calories, I ended the week with some chocolate chunk cookies.


One more week until step back- I'm looking forward to it this time but have to get through my first century first! I hope this post didn't put everyone to sleep. I'll leave you with the following question: how many cookies eaten in one day would be too many?

11 comments:

  1. That's a pretty darn fast 20 mile run! I hope you made up for the calorie loss with chocolate chunk cookie intake :p.

    -Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "how many cookies eaten in one day would be too many?"

    I had 7 today. Seems fine so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had that headwind on my ride home from work this week too! It was brutal. Luckily I hit one section the same time as 5 other guys and was able to rotate the lead for about 10 miles. that helped. Hoping I'll be so lucky tomorrow.

    During iron man training, therr is no limit on cookies.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only option to draft was off of Travers, and he was way too fast (which is unfortunate). That sounds like a good strategy though! I'm pretty sure that one thing Whistler doesn't have is winds >> 15 mph (I hope not anyway!).

      I like that.... no cookie limit. Good call :)

      Delete
  5. Nice work on the 70/20 weekend! I hope you ate at least 20 cookies to make up for that effort.

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had 5 on the first day, 5 on the second day, and 6 on the third day. So not quite 20, but a lot. I like Matt's rule of no limit.

      Travers is disappointed that nobody commented on his pizza dough tossing skills. I thought you might be the last hope but you let him down :p

      Delete
    2. Tell Travers that, until recently, I didn't think he read our blog posts, let alone our comments :P

      That said, I actually WAS impressed. If I threw dough anywhere, it would land anywhere but my hands. If this whole chemE thing doesn't pan out, he has a back-up career!

      - Chen

      Delete
    3. I'm the same as you- no coordination at all. I will confess that each time he tossed it I got really nervous we were going to lose part of our dinner to the floor.

      And he does read.... just not post :)

      Delete
  6. I just derived this handy formula: ncookies = is(ironmantraining)*infinity + 3.

    Also I am impressed with both the pizza tossing skills AND the action-photography skills.

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, love the formula.

      I'll have to admit that my first photography try was not successful; that was my 2nd try.

      Delete