Monday, April 6, 2015

Katie's IM Canada Training: Week 4 (Close but not quite)

Posted by Katie

This week was a step back week! In the plan that Matt and I are following that means that you repeat week 1. It was nice to have some familiarity in the workouts, especially the swims.

Monday
Elliptical, 45min

Tuesday
Trainer easy 45min
Swim 1600 (Main set 3x400)

Wednesday
Trainer easy 45min

Thursday
Rest day!

Friday
Swim (Main set 8x100)
Elliptical 30min (was NOT feeling it)

Saturday
Group ride: Novato to Pt. Reyes Station, 45mi, 1900ft elevation, plus crazy headwind.

Sunday
Planned: Swim and "Run" in the pool
Actual: Grouchy 45min trainer ride (apparently all pools on the SF penninsula close for Easter.. Oops)

The long ride saturday was actually a set up instead of back because we are all signed up for the Primavera Century hosted by the Fremont Freewheelers Bicycle Club on April 26th. We even got a team shout out (Team triing for the win(e) on their page, link here.  Some of us (Matt and I) are woefully under prepared for this 100 mile ride and are trying to catch up.

Chen and Paige organized a great group ride in the north bay starting in Novato, going over to Pt. Reyes Station and back. There was also promise of amazing baked goods in Pt. Reyes Station, so of course we were in. This was a challenging ride for me, starting off I knew it was going to be tough because I was pushing hard to keep up on the flat/false flat and my HR was at or over 160, certainly not sustainable. Then there was a wicked headwind to contend with, which made it feel like you were going uphill all the time. I fell way behind and was really frustrated with my lack of fitness. Thankfully Chen and Paige waited at the turns for me to make sure I didn't get totally lost! (Thanks guys!!)

At the halfway mark we stopped in Pt. Reyes Station, for some delicious baked goods, water refills, and bathroom breaks. The town was taken over by cyclists. There were two huge bike racks all completely full with fancy road bikes. It was cool to see so many fellow riders out, and it was a very nice day for riding (minus that head wind). The way back was MUCH MUCH easier with a tailwind and a more gradual climb.

At the top of the Big Rock climb on the way back.
After biking Matt and I continued up to Sonoma to pick up some wine club shipments and do a tasting. Friends... I have found the secret to post ride recovery and it does not include a weird protein shake. It only requires three things, sun, Adirondack chairs, and wine.

#Recovery
Sunday I had planned to do a "brick" of sorts, with a run in the pool (with my new super nerdy aqua belt which I have yet to use) and then a long swim. Sunday morning Matt got up and took Kona for a trail run while I lazed around until the pool opened. Unfortunately both local pools were closed for the day, which I only found out by showing up two separate times ready to swim only to encounter a CLOSED sign on the door. #Fail

This little guy ran 9 miles on trails and is officially a better runner than me.

A new Easter tradition...bacon and egg ramen... all things good in one bowl.
Next week it is time to get serious!

3 comments:

  1. That recovery DOES look a lot better than some weird drink :) I was thinking about how we can look unified at Primavera and I realized most of our old tricks used for running (capes, tutus, etc) probably don't work so well on a bike. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many thoughts:
    1) Yes, that headwind was wicked, and I totally forgot to mention it in my post. What the hell was that???
    2) No problem re:waiting at turns during the ride, and in retrospect, I felt really bad that we didn't discuss our plan for sticking together or otherwise ahead of time. Lesson learned for the next group ride! Learning something new every day with this weird "biking" sport...
    3) Ahhhh we totally shoulda stuck around for your shipment pick-ups and tasting. Looked amazeballs!
    4) Kona's a champ. Duh.
    5) WHAT. BACON AND EGG RAMEN?? You may have just created the ultimate Chen-Paige meal. Will need to discuss recipe immediately.

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I had no idea we got a shout-out on the Primavera page - how cool! Per Rachel's comment, I wonder what we can wear to look unified... hot pink 80s sweatbands over our helmets?
      - Chen

      Delete