Sunday, February 22, 2015

Rachel's IM Canada training: week 2 (of 24)

Posted by Rachel

Week 2 is in the books! Things have been going well, here's the rundown:

Monday
We had a holiday, so I was able to replace the usual spin class with an outdoor ride (always preferred), relatively flat, around Oakland. I went on the Bay Bridge trail and the removal of the old bridge is looking pretty cool. Also, the weather was amazing. 18.6 miles.


Tuesday
am- 4400 yards endurance swim 
(If anyone is wondering about sets, here's what I did: 2 x 600 s, p (30 s rest); 2 x 500 s (6:53), p (25 s rest); 2 x 400 s (5:23), p (20 s rest); 2 x 300 s (3:58), p (15 s rest); 2 x 200 s (2:38), p (10 s rest); 2 x 100 s (1:16), p (5 s rest). I don't time my pulling because I'm slow at pulling.). I was stalking some swimming message boards and I found some sweet new sets that I'm going to try over the next few weeks. I will list them here in case anyone else wants to try them, too!
pm- 8 miles (7:37 overall avg) with 6 @ long tempo pace (7:24 avg)

Wednesday
bike 17.5 miles via spin class

Thursday
am- 45 min strength + core
pm- 6.5 mile easy run (8:28 pace)

Friday
master's swim practice- 3000 yds

Saturday
My first brick! 
50 miles biking w/4500 ft (ok...actually 49.6 miles; 13.7 mph) + 10 miles running (8:33 pace)
I got some new fuel in the mail that I had ordered (bonk breakers and Infinit) and they seemed to work pretty well as my legs felt good and I didn't crash during this long workout. This is by far the most I've ever consumed during a workout- 800 calories on the bike + 200 on the run. To sustain the run I would eat more next time, but this is good progress for me to take in more calories during the bike. This stuff isn't cheap though... IM training rides are expensive!


 Sunday 
5.5 mile run with 5k at the LMJS Couples Relay race (time 21:44- 6:54 garmin (3.15 miles/open course)/7:00 actual). This is about :54 slower than my PR which isn't much actually, and while my legs surprisingly agreed to this pace earlier today, I'm pretty sure they'll feel like bricks tomorrow. An excellent excuse to skip track Tuesday, if you ask me!

A couple of other notable things this week:
-I signed up for a 5k. Why is this notable? Because I'm not talking about running. I'm talking about swimming. And I signed up for the no wetsuit category. And I've never swam that far without stopping. I hope they have lifeguards.
-Happy 30th birthday to fellow blogger Katie!

4 comments:

  1. I already called this out to you, but I just want our blog readers to know that without trying, Rachel easily ran my 5K PR the morning after a tough brick workout. Rockstar status!

    Also, it's probably not a good sign for me that YOU'RE worried about the 5K swim. Rethinking signing up :-P.

    Great week 2, and thanks again for making all of the delicious food last night!

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will echo that comment. Impressive post-brick race!! My fastest SINGLE mile ever is 7:22 minutes, on rested ready-to-go legs =p.

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Chen is misusing the phrases "without trying" and "easily". And also, my legs almost fell off during an easy 12 mile trainer ride today, so there are consequences to what I did! Then I went to do core and just laid on the ground for 5 min before deciding not to do it :p But thanks for the support, ladies :) Alexis- have you been training for Primavera? You should join one of our rides sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, it is sadly comforting to know that you were indeed tired on Monday =p.

    I've been training in that I... rode 40 miles, once, a few weeks ago? (and very occasionally hop on the trainer after work?). I am often in Tahoe, but yes, I should join! My long rides should probably become more frequent... soon.

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete