Sunday, February 15, 2015

IM Canada: Week 1 – Chen’s version (i.e., 44 laps & 87 flip turns!)

Posted by Chen

My subject line refers to my swim on Wednesday, during which I got in the pool, started swimming, and didn’t stop until I’d swum 44 laps, or 2200 yards, including 87 flip turns (slowly getting better at these!). This distance is significant because 1) my longest continuous swim prior to that morning had been 500 yards, and 2) 2200 yards equates to 1.25 miles, or just longer than the distance of the half IM swim. Given my turtle pace (it took me 42:57), it also didn’t feel bad at all. The hardest part of the workout was actually keeping track of the lap number I was on – turns out I’m pretty bad at counting.

I know that stringing all three sports together is a different story, but it gives me confidence knowing that I have now completed the half Iron distance for each sport, at least independently. I have less than 2 months until my half in April, so now it’s just a matter of practicing those distances more and working on some speed.

The other workout worth mentioning is the 71.3-mile bike ride that Rachel and Sandi and I did yesterday, a personal distance record for all three of us. Rachel did a great job of leading and pacing, which made for a challenging but sustainable effort over the 5+ hour adventure, which included 5900 feet of climbing.

The big climbs are slowly getting easier for me (I actually used gears other than my granny gear for parts of them!), though for the first time on an outdoor ride, I had to deal with some boredom between miles 20-35. These miles seemed to go on forEVER, which was disheartening since we weren’t even halfway done at that point. I’m sure I’m going to encounter many more boring stretches over the next 24 weeks, so I’m already thinking about what I can distract myself with. Suggestions welcome.

Tried out my new tri kit, which I loved until mile 50 or so, when my ass decided it was done and ready for some couch action

After the ride, Rachel made us an amazing homemade pasta dinner. She makes the best Bolognese, and it was just as amazeballs as I’d remembered. Thanks, Rach!

Only a fraction of what was consumed last night

IM Canada Week 1 Recap:

Monday: 
  • PM: 70-minute trainer ride with fast spin intervals. This was intended to include resistance intervals using the big ring as well, but my bike is currently unable to get into and out of that gear, even though I brought it in for a tune-up two weeks ago. Womp womp. Also note to self: don’t do an interval ride the day after a 20-mile run and the night before a track workout. Said track workout will not go well.
Tuesday: 
  • AM: Swimming 3300 yards, including the swim/pull ladder that I mentioned in my last post
  • PM: Track 6x800m – my goal was to start around 3:20 and then work my way down from there. Totally nailed the 3:20 part, but then got stuck at that pace for the rest of the workout. It was just one of those days where I didn’t have it, and that’s certainly not going to be the last time I encounter a workout like that over the next 24 weeks. And that’s OK. It’s especially OK if you can drown your sorrows in Chipotle afterwards. Total run: 7.8 miles (~7:48 pace overall)
Wednesday: 
  • AM: Swimming 2200 yards continuously!! 42:57
  • Immediately followed by 65 minutes on the stationary bike with resistance intervals. Until my bike is fixed, I’m going to be relying on the stationary bike for any kind of resistance workout, which I’m fine with given how padded those seats are. It’s like sitting on a pillow!
Thursday: 
  • AM: Swimming 3200 yards, including the same swim/pull ladder as Tuesday
Friday: 
  • AM: Swimming 2500 yards, including 2x1000 in 18:31 and 18:13. Liking these longer sets, now that I can do them :-)
  • PM: Running easy progression run: 7.3 miles (~8:17 pace)
Saturday: 
  • AM (into PM): Biking 71.3 miles in the East Bay with Rachel and Sandi, including 5900ft of climbing
Sunday: 
  • PM: Running 13.1 miles (~8:50 pace)
I meant to run 20 miles today because I won’t be able to bike or run long next weekend, but my desire to nap won out over my desire to hit 20 :-P. And I won’t be able to bike or run long next weekend because I’ll be attending a swim clinic that I’m super excited for. It runs 9am-5pm both Saturday and Sunday, and it includes classroom instruction, land drills, pool instruction, and videos. Not sure if I’m excited or frightened to watch myself swimming (I imagine it’s somewhat like listening to your own voice on a recorder, which is nothing short of terrifying), but I hope I come out of the session with a much more efficient form than I have now. I’ll be sure to report back!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome week of training this week! I'm glad you settled on running a reasonable distance today :)

    Maybe we need to get boom boxes for our bikes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not a bad idea... Will be googling that today at work...

      - Chen

      Delete