Sunday, February 15, 2015

Rachel's IM Canada training: week 1 (of 24)

Posted by Rachel

Week 1 is done! And as an added bonus, it ends in a three day weekend. And as an extra added bonus, it feels like summer outside (which may not be ideal for training or droughts, but it sure is nice).

After last week's step back, I felt pretty good. Here's how it went down:

Monday
am- 4000 yards (main set 6 x 500 on 7:30, times were all 6:40-6:50)
pm- spin class (15 miles total) + 30 min core class

Tuesday
7.1 miles at the track
set: 3 x 400 w/200 recovery (1:30-1:32) + 2 x 1200 tempo w/200 recovery (4:58s) + 3 x 400 w/200 recovery (1:29-1:31)

Wednesday
spin class (15 miles total)

Thursday
am- strength training + core
pm- 7.1 miles comfortable pace (8:22)

Friday
3200 yards at master's swim practice

Saturday
71.3 miles biking w/~5900 ft (13.8 mph)

Sunday
12 mile run (8:33)

The most notable workout of the week was definitely the ride Saturday, which was my longest EVER! I'm glad we did it because I learned a lot. For the most part, my legs felt good and only fatigued a little bit at the end. However, afterward I could tell that I was pretty drained and that I definitely should have eaten more. I drank about 3-4 full water bottles which I thought was pretty good for me, but I really need to start focusing more on nutrition. Also, even though I consider this pretty solid as far as training volume 6 months out, the thought of doing 40 more miles AND a marathon after that bike ride is daunting.

To refuel after the ride, we ate a LOT of food (big shock). I didn't take a picture of the homemade pasta and bolognese that I made, but my aunt did bring over this amazing tiramisu (right pic)!


Then this evening we went to my FAVORITE park in Oakland for the sunset. Sunset + water + 3-day weekend + summer weather + good training week = :).




4 comments:

  1. Thanks again for leading all 71.34 miles - awesome ride! And one of these days I'll sack up and lead :-P. Agreed that we need to eat even more (though I'm not sure how that's possible). Good thing we've nailed the eating enough afterwards part. Super pretty sunset - amazing end to week 1! Only 23 to go...

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'll happily lead if you carry the boom box. Sounds like a fair deal to me :)

      Delete
  2. Oh how I wish I could stay and train with you guys until you meet your goals of becoming iron men. I had a blast riding on Saturday!!!

    -Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a 'blast'. But, relative to biking on some other days, I enjoyed it too! You should stay! :p

      Delete