Sunday, May 3, 2015

Rachel's IM Canada training: week 12 (of 24)

Posted by Rachel

I can't believe we're halfway there! (Cue Bon Jovi and fists in the air.) This was a step back week so the training was boring. I'll get to that eventually, but a few other things first.

Work
I had so much work this week, I don't know how I could've juggled a full training week. Do I have this much work every week and just ignore it, or was it a one time thing?

Chores
I had intended to go to Target sometime this week, but didn't make it until the weekend (see "work" category for explanation). I also went shopping for some new desperately needed work shirts, and spent FIVE HOURS cleaning the house today. It is soooo nice to live in a clean house. If any of our friends out there were planning to visit us please come soon, while this place is still in a non-embarrassing state.

MayDay
Protests. I get it, but they are getting really old. Whoever is responsible for enforcing a zero tolerance policy on violence in protests in Oakland FAILED. On Friday night, this happened right in front of our place. We watched from the window:

Photo from SFGate** (my iphone couldn't get quality this good from our window)

From what we saw, the cops did really well and acted very professionally in the face of goading and inciting protesters. There were no issues that we witnessed, but not all the small businesses in Oakland were so lucky. It's really infuriating to live in a city that gets destroyed any time there is a protest. As we rode our bikes Saturday morning, we noticed tons of broken widows and windshields. 

Training
I won't go through the day-by-day since it's boring. Here's a summary:
Swim: twice, 4200 and 3100. The 4200 yard swim went well, 3100 meh (but the water was WARM).
Bike: twice, but both hard. Trainer Road Gray (2 x 20 min @ FTP) and medium-long ride (44 mi). I've done this ride 3 times and this was by far the fastest, so I was happy with that.
Run: three times, no watch on all. I was trying to stay conservative so I can do quality runs in the next 3 weeks, and I know I speed up when I can see my pace. I intentionally added some hills to today's 10 miler and those went pretty well.

Food
I made more cookies and am capping the week with some good pinot. See you all in week 13!


(How clean is that floor?! :p )

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that happened right outside your building! That's nuts... for some reason I assumed everything was limited to downtown. I had also assumed everything was peaceful, but I suppose not. Like you, I fully understand the reasons behind the protests, but I also don't get why protestors feel the need to harm people or property of people who had nothing to do with the original incident. A bit ridiculous, if you ask me.

    Glad you got to do lots of life things this week/weekend. Halfway there - eek!!!

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you had the impression the protests were confined, given that the media likes to make the whole city look like a war zone. Anyway, it was mostly peaceful and the prevailing thought is that violent protesters aren't actually protesters, but that the protests give them an "excuse" to come and vandalize. Either way, it's lame.

      Life things are good. Another 3 weeks until I get to do life things again :p

      Delete