Tuesday, May 5, 2015

IM Canada: Week 12 – Chen’s version (i.e., Holler and Swaller)

Posted by Chen

Holler = what the bar / band yells when they want you to drink
Swaller = what you yell back before you drink

Nashville lingo – who knew?

Sorry for the late post (again)! I actually got back from Nashville at a very reasonable hour Sunday afternoon, but that also meant that I got two hours of sleep Saturday night in order to catch my flight back to SF. I had every intention of riding the trainer and writing my blog post Sunday evening, but instead, I fell asleep at 5pm and slept for 13 straight hours. In the span of those 13 hours, Brandon rode the trainer twice and also made two lasagnas from scratch. One of us can be considered a productive person.

Anyway, Nashville was super fun, which was no surprise. You can’t expect anything less from a city that’s full of live music, cheap beers, and hot chicken (Nashville’s version of fried chicken). Similar to cities like Vegas and New Orleans, I could never live in Nashville given the serious lack of vegetables and outdoor activities, but it’s a fun place to visit for a few days or so.

This trip was my fourth annual trip with my high school friends, where we try to visit a new city every year. So far, we’ve done SF/Napa, New Orleans, Portland (OR), and Nashville. Suggestions for future trips welcome!

We went to a boot place where we essentially got 4 pairs of boots for the price of one. Bargain shopping at its finest!

The ladies

Given that I was traveling for half of the week, and given that this was supposed to be a cutback week, I don’t have anything exciting to report on the training front. It’s pretty crazy to think that we’re already halfway done, though! I certainly don’t feel halfway prepared, but I just have to keep reminding myself that a lot of work can be done in 12 weeks. Onwards!

IM Canada Week 12 Recap:

Monday: 
  • Rest. I thought about doing an easy recovery ride on the trainer after my big 20/100 weekend, but then I decided that that would be a waste of time, energy, and a shower.
Tuesday: 
  • AM: Swimming 3000 yards, including 10x200 easy/build/easy/hard. Katie gave me this workout (any swim workout you see me do has surely been stolen from someone else on this blog). It was definitely nice to mix up the pace, and even though I was generally feeling sluggish that day, EBEH made the whole thing go by much more quickly. Average pace of 1:48/100yd.
  • PM: Trainer ride with speed intervals: 10 minute warm-up; 50 minutes as 1 min on, 1 min off, where 'on' speed increased from 15 to 19+ mph (i.e., same “comb” workout as last week); overall 15.25 miles (15.2mph)
Wednesday: 
  • AM: Medium-long run on the Bay Trail: 13.1 miles (~8:21 pace). I set out on this run with the intention to run 8 miles so that I could also get a swim in that morning, but as I hit the 4-mile turnaround point, I decided it would be much more efficient for me to just get my long run for the week over with, rather than having to do it while hungover in Nashville using unfamiliar streets and paths. Winning decision.
Thursday: 
  • AM: Swimming 4500 yards, including 3500 continuous. After 4x250 super sluggish intervals, I decided to go with a nice and easy continuous swim. Never hurts to do a continuous swim! Average pace of 1:53/100yd
Friday: 
  • AM: Brick stationary ride in Nashville: 18.75 miles in 65 min (17.3mph). Stationary bikes are so generous
  • AM: Brick treadmill run in Nashville: 5 miles (~8:48 pace)
Saturday: 
  • AM: Nashville river trail run: 10.1 miles (~8:45 pace)
Sunday: 
  • Rest. Unplanned. Oh well.

3 comments:

  1. It still seems like you did quite a lot of running for a step back :)

    How many pairs of boots did you get? Was that one each, or 4 for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but I think I subconsciously compensated for the fact that I took two rest days :P.

      And hahaha, just 1 pair per person. But that would be amazing if we walked out of that store with 16 pairs of boots in tow.

      - Chen

      Delete
  2. Does this mean you are the proud owner of cowboy boots? I think you have to start listening to country music now...it may be a requirement as a boot owner ;).

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete