Thursday, May 14, 2015

IM Canada: Week 13 – Chen’s version (i.e., the struggle)

Posted by Chen

Before I get into this post, I’ll just go ahead and say that everything I’m about to whine about can only be classified as #firstworldproblems. For serious. We are all beyond lucky to be training for an Ironman. We should feel extremely fortunate that our bodies allow us to do all three sports with relative ease, even when we make silly training decisions. The mere fact that Ironman training is one of my biggest issues right now speaks volumes to how privileged and carefree a life I lead.

That said, Ironman training is hard $h!t, man! I knew this would happen, this training slump I’m in. I just wasn’t sure when. Up until a week or two ago, I was legitimately enjoying this whole training process, even with the seemingly absurd amount of time I was putting in. I was having fun learning new things with swimming and cycling, and I was enjoying running more than I had in a long time, now that my runs were limited and were to be savored each time.

But lately, it all feels like a chore. I can’t seem to wake up for AM workouts during the week, and I have to bribe myself to drive to the gym instead of home after work each evening. Then, when I get there, it takes all my will power to complete both workouts on double days instead of just bailing after one. And with all of my personal travel during my weekends in May, it’s been incredibly hard to convince myself to do my long workouts after I get back from a flight or drive. So far, the desire to nap instead has won out.

This slump has surely also been fueled by work going bat$h!t crazy this month, and then to top things off, I walked to my car Monday morning (already running late to an 8am meeting, mind you) to find my sideview mirror hanging down by a cord, a dent in my door, and of course no note to be found. F***er. It turns out that driving without the ability to merge left is hard.

I could go on, but then I’d be boring even myself. So that’s where I’m at. I know this slump is temporary, and that I’ll soon look back on this post and laugh about how much of a baby I’m being. That said, I also think it’s important to document this time so that my posts are a true representation of this whole training journey. It’s not all going to be sunshine and rainbows, but I suppose that’s why we all signed up for this in the first place – for the challenge. Well, Ironman training, sir – you may have won out this week, but I’ll be back for you yet.

And for funsies, here are some random pictures from the wedding we attended in Tahoe last weekend. Personal travel may wreak havoc on my training, but it’s always worth it in the end!






IM Canada Week 13 Recap:

Monday: 
  • AM: Trainer ride with short fast spin intervals: 18 miles (15.4mph)
Tuesday: 
  • PM: Progression run on the Bay Trail: 8 miles in 1:01:17 (~7:40 pace); Splits: 7:52, 7:48, 7:47, 7:46, 7:47, 7:38, 7:25, 7:14. I had a tailwind on the way out and a headwind on the way back. One half of this run felt much better than the other.
  • Immediately followed by swimming 3000 yards – swim / pull ladder (average pace of 1:50/100yd)
Wednesday: 
  • PM: Stationary ride with resistance intervals: 25.25 miles (18.7mph). If only I could actually bike that fast.
  • Immediately followed by swimming 2100 yards, including 2x1000 in 18:34 and 18:40 (overall average pace of 1:51/100yd).
Thursday: 
  • PM: Easy run on the Bay Trail: 10 miles in 1:24:46 (~8:29 pace); Splits: 8:46, 8:45, 8:42, 8:26, 8:21, 8:19, 8:28, 8:16, 8:16, 8:27
Friday: 
  • PM: Swimming 5100 yards. I was really happy with how this workout went. Despite the length, I felt strong throughout and also managed to pick up the pace as I went along. It went a little something like this:
    • 500 warm-up (9:01)
    • 4x300 on 6:00 (5:19, 5:17, 5:18, 5:16)
    • 4x250 on 5:00 (4:22, 4:20, 4:21, 4:21)
    • 4x200 on 4:00 (3:28, 3:27, 3:28, 3:22)
    • 4x150 on 3:00 (2:33, 2:33, 2:33, 2:33)
    • 4x100 on 2:00 (1:41, 1:41, 1:40, 1:40)
    • 4x50 on 1:00 (0:47, 0:48, 0:49, 0:48)
    • 400 cool-down (7:07)
    • No rest between sets, but rested for a little longer after warm-up and before cool-down
Saturday: 
  • AM: Running 7 easy but hilly miles through Golden Gate Park (~8:52 pace). I meant to get up earlier to run 15+ miles before we made the drive up to Tahoe for a wedding, but I was seriously lacking in motivation and barely got these 7 in.
Sunday: 
  • Unplanned rest. If I thought motivation was lacking on Saturday, I didn’t know what was coming. I could have easily gotten a long trainer ride in after we got back from Tahoe in the mid-afternoon timeframe (hell, I could have easily cycled outside given how late the sun sets now), but I instead procrastinated, took a nap, and then proceeded to sit on my ass, watch TV, and eat crap for the rest of the night. It felt a little bit like I was playing hooky from my training, which was fun while I was doing it, but then I of course felt super guilty the next morning. Good thing Diablo is happening this weekend so that I’m forced to get a long ride in!

2 comments:

  1. Love the dress you wore to the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think taking a rest day is fine. It seems far better than overtraining :) We've got plenty more training left to make up for it, including the most ridiculous ride we've ever done tomorrow :p

    ReplyDelete