Monday, September 22, 2014

Cancellation Report: IM Lake Tahoe 70.3

Posted by Katie

I had big plans for this race (well...to finish it primarily), and I couldn't wait to tell you (the internet) all about it. Unfortunately for reasons beyond my control there was no race today... Ironman Lake Tahoe was cancelled.

Saturday night I could hardly sleep I was too excited/nervous for the race. The house we rented was a short walk to the start so we were able to get up at a reasonable time (5:30am... although I was up at 5) and have breakfast and relax at the house before walking down to the start. Just before 6:30 we decided to walk over to the start to get our body markings and watch the full ironman pro race start. As we were walking Matt and Travers were chatting and I heard the person on the PA say something like "mumble mumble cancelled, mumble, please don't enter the water". WAIT WHAT?!?! Somewhat in shock, we listened again and this time heard clearly that the race had been cancelled due to hazardous air quality conditions in the area especially Squaw and Truckee (on the bike and run course). Thousands of ironman triathletes on the beach let out a collective UHHHG.

It was somewhat hard to grasp in Kings Beach where the air seemed to be fine. We had checked the air quality ratings online, and knew that things were really bad (into the extremely unhealthy levels)... but it is just hard to wrap your head around that when you are standing in your tri gear ready to hop into the water and get this show on the road after months of preparation...

Air Particulate Measurements (Courtesy of Ironman.com)

Air quality ratings


So at 6:00am Truckee and Squaw valley had ratings of 450 and 500 ug/m^3... and as you can see from the key above 150+ is "Very unhealthy". Even Tahoe City just down the road ~10 miles from Kings Beach was ~150. Certainly I think the race directors made the right call, but after 4 months of training.. the disappointment was also huge.
Sad face.
  Trying to make the best of things we decided to pick up our bikes and then do the swim anyway. The air quality was at a healthy level in Kings Beach and the buoys were still out with a few kayak and paddle board volunteers out keeping an eye on swimmers (though technically they didn't have to, thanks volunteers! you guys rock). So Matt, Travers and I put on our wetsuits, Rachel gave us an official "cannon" and we were off.

Ready set SWIM!
 The swim actually went pretty badly for me, which was good in a humbling kind of way. The first few buoys there were small waves hitting us head on. Granted they were pretty tiny and produced by the wind... but I am a baby and train in the pool and super small lake/pond where it is always calm and flat. Once we rounded the far end things got better and the swim (with lots and lots of breast stroke pauses) ended up taking me 48mins. Definitely off of my < 40min goal and is a great lesson in that I need more open water practice/confidence. 

Swim finishers


Next it was time to pack up and go get our run bags (and car) at Squaw. We saw quite a few people on bikes... I hope just trying to get their bikes back to Squaw and not biking the course because the smoke was awful. Imagine the foggiest day in San Francisco... now imagine it is not fog, but a hot campfire. Just walking to the T2 area my throat and eyes felt raw. I felt awful for the volunteers still around to distribute shirts and collect timing chips. I hope they didn't have to stick around too long, or Ironman had a plan for particulate masks or something to help the volunteers.

Not your typical view of Squaw...


When we picked up our run gear they were handing out finisher shirts, hats and medals. I have a confession to make... I love the shirt! I am totally going to wear it (though it does feel wrong since I did not actually "finish"... but hey I did an unofficial 1/3 of the race.. that counts right?).


So what now?

Great question. Ironman responded today with three options:
1) Discounted $50 registration for Frogman (this wekeend) or Silverman (next weekend)
2) Discounted $50 registration for IM Lake Tahoe 70.3 2015
3) Half off $125 registration to various US 70.3 races in the spring/summer 2015.

Since Frogman is in the ocean (see above: Katie is terrified of swimming in waves) and Silverman would cost a lot extra in travel and bike shipping... I am leaning towards option #2.


Part of me wants to to a 70.3 soon... part of me wants to focus on the half marathon and marathon I have coming up in October and December... we shall see :)



3 comments:

  1. As a volunteer (and also spouse and friend of competitors), I felt so disappointed for you. I can't imagine how you guys felt. At least we got to spend a weekend with friends, our homes aren't near the fire, and the training is in the books, meaning you'll never lose the benefit even though you didn't race. It should be very translatable to IM Canada training ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh... super big bummer. I know how hard y'all trained all summer and I can't even imagine what you felt standing on the shore, listening to them cancel it. Obviously the right call, but sucky situation nonetheless. Agree with Rachel - you won't lose the training, and perhaps Rancho Cordova will be in the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also feel bad and bummed out that they cancelled the race the morning of...sorry guys. Although, I must say, I love the sad face pic...you guys are awesome! No worries, there will be other 70.3's in your future!

    -Sandi

    ReplyDelete