Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A marathon runner's approach to interviewing

Posted by Katie

This summer I have been attempting to find a job and have developed a sort of routine (as I do for most things) for the in person interview. In my field and at my experience level the interview typically involves a 1 hour presentation (by me), followed by 7+ hours of interviews usually each 30min-1 hour and with 1-4 people at a time. So in short... it is a long long day and being on your A game is critical.  So below is my routine and for the runners reading this blog it may look a little familiar....

Pre-Interview day
  • Extra hydration all day
  • Choose outfit and shoes, lay out all items for speedy transition
  • Dinner: pasta with pesto and chicken
  • Sleep: as much as possible! old-lady bedtimes encouraged
Interview day
  • Wake up: unnecessarily early
  • Breakfast: bagel sandwich
  • Drive to start: also unnecessarily early (just in case!)
  • Pre interview pit stop: usually a local starbucks to spend the extra 1.5 hours that I accidentally have
  • Emergency provisions: water bottle, and secret stash of energy chews in breifcase
    • Yup you read that right... I bring energy chews (honey stinger aka candy) on every interview
 
#ready
So there you have it, my interview routine, which if you just swapped out the word interview for marathon... would be exactly the same. Personally I find there is something really comforting about routine. Cross your fingers for me that this crazy routine leads to gainful employment soon! 
 

6 comments:

  1. Haha I love this! Job searching is kind of the worst, and I certainly don't envy you, but it's great that you have a fun attitude about it :). Anything that's akin to marathons can't be all THAT bad... Good luck with the rest of the search!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Glad the interview went well. There is one rule that works here, too- NEVER wear brand new shoes without practicing in them first! Also, I spent 1.5 hours at a Starbucks before an interview, too (and got a parking ticket while I was in there! Oops).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I did make the new shoes mistake once... never again!

      Delete
    2. In an interview, or a race? :p (Mine was an interview)

      Delete
    3. Actually I've done both! New shoes for the interview was a super painful mistake, tons of blisters. The race actually wasn't so bad, which was surprising... a half marathon on shoes I had never worn, in a brand I never buy.

      Delete
    4. Haha, yeah based on my new shoes in an interview experience (pain/misery), I probably would've preferred the mistake to have occurred in a half marathon :)

      Delete