Thursday, August 7, 2014

Rambling thoughts about training in Buffalo

Posted by Rachel

Last weekend we took an extended long weekend to head to Buffalo, NY for my grandma's 80th birthday party. It was a great time and I'm so glad we were able to go. Fortunately for us, the weather also cooperated quite a bit. The first morning we went for a 10 mile run and it wasn't even painfully hot or humid. Travers looked up the most popular routes in Buffalo, and we just followed one. It was really (surprisingly) nice! I suppose that's why it's the most popular. Also, while I was searching for a bathroom and not looking in front of me, I managed to slip and fall on some gravel. I'm getting used to biking/running bloody.

I didn't have my camera on our run, but we did find this Giants tribute right in front of our hotel. Random. 

Two days later, we went for a run on the Niagara River/Lake Erie waterfront. That was nice, too, albeit much shorter. On the way back, we noticed that the road in front of the hotel was closed for a bike race. I asked what distance the race was and was told it was a criterium. I have seen these before, but I really just don't get them. Maybe it's because I can't turn my bike very well, which would be catastrophic in this type of event. I guess it's equivalent to racing a (5k, 10k, etc) on a track?

On our last day of the trip, we went to the Frank Lloyd Wright house and it was really neat (I hadn't seen it before). It's funny how you can live in/near a place for so long and not do all of the notable things there.

I'm not that into architecture but this place was cool (Martin House)

We also went to Niagara Falls, which I have done many times before (if you are from anywhere in WNY, this is pretty much the only thing to show people that come to visit). Travers, on the other hand, has only gone once in the dead of frigid, frigid winter. So we went back again, went on Maid of the Mist, and hiked around. It was really nice, and it reminded me that I want to bring Travers back to WNY in the fall sometime...which happens to correspond with...

...the Niagara Falls International Marathon! 2017, or 2018 maybe...who's in?! Apparently I have a recent thing for races in Canada :p 

Travers looking cool in front of Horseshoe Falls

Now I'm back into regular training for a few more weeks before the Oakland Tri (Olympic distance). I'm pretty excited about it and am hoping to PR. I skipped a bit of biking while in Buffalo, but I think it was a good thing because my legs felt strong this week and ready for a few weeks of hard training. Yesterday we did a spin class in our gym which has a new cycle studio. Travers said he didn't like it because it is too much like a nightclub, which is exactly how I felt when I was in there but I thought it was cool. I guess we'll see if it gets old. Then today we did our normal bike commute home (30 mi) but I somehow forgot a sports bra. I went for it in regular apparel, and was relieved that it ended up being fine (I didn't even notice). The time I wore my bike shorts inside out for a 30 mile ride was much worse (yes, the butt pad was on the outside. No wonder the "real cyclists" were looking at me strangely as they rode by). 

I think that's enough from me for now, but I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again soon. Good luck to Will and Sandi in their marathon!


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello, Crazy Penguin... welcome to our blog! Which triathlon are you training for?

      Delete
  2. Our second run was on the Buffalo River waterfront, not the Niagara river.

    Also, you wore your bike shorts inside out once?!?! How did I not know that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buffalo River?! Ooops.

      You weren't with me the day I wore my bike shorts inside out. It was that day I took a class in Sunnyvale for work, and then was attempting to ride to the Fremont BART. (This attempt ended at the Union City BART, because as you may have guessed..I got lost trying to find the Fremont BART).

      Delete
  3. Good pics!

    Travers, I am also shocked that you missed the inside-out shorts.

    I'd be down for a Niagra Falls Marathon, for sure!

    -Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...I know I can always count on you to do a marathon in a destination, rather than just taking a relaxing vacation like a normal human being :p

      Delete
    2. You know me too well :p. I bet Chen would do it too!

      -Sandi

      Delete