Monday, August 11, 2014

Peak week for Oak tri- training

Posted by Rachel

I was looking at the banner on top our blog and it says "a group training blog". But if you look at the entries, we mostly talk about races and hardly ever even mention training. Well, it turns out we all do train. So I decided that for one week I would actually cover training. Also, since it's a "peak week" for the Olympic distance Oakland tri, this might as well be the week I share it with the world (I'll look less lazy this way).

Disclaimer: I am following a completely made up plan (devised in my own mind), so if it doesn't make any sense, that's why.

Monday (the day with the most different activities):

Morning-
1.) 4200 yard swim (endurance day). Main set ladder- 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100  all freestyle, all 1:30/100 base

After work-
2.) 45 min spin class (push the hard intervals)- they took out many of the "night club" elements from the new cycle studio at the gym, which was good. The first bike that I got on was showing speed in km/hr, and I didn't want to do any math so I moved to the bike next to it. Once I got going on that bike, I realized it was ALSO in km/hr. At this point I just gave in, figuring that I signed up for a race in Canada, I might as well go metric. (For the record, I prefer metric for distances under 1 meter, but over a meter it has to be miles.) Luckily, power was still in watts and not BTU/hr or some weird crap. It's really interesting to see power... at the beginning of class I can barely break 100W, but once I get warmed up I'm mostly in the 130-150 range somewhat comfortably (then up around 190-220 for high intensity intervals of 30-60s). I have no idea what this means, but it's mostly likely weak.
3.) 30 min core class

Question for cyclists... Does anyone know of a magical online chart where you can look at your weight and the speed you want to go and it tells you what power range you need?

2 comments:

  1. I know nothing about power ranges... but I would like to add that when I googled "power range bike" I got lots of pictures of power rangers kid's bikes... lol probably not what you were asking...

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is AWESOME, although it's true, it is not what I was looking for.

      I think most of the serious cyclists train with power. My training tool is whether my quads are really tired or only kind of tired. I don't feel a strong need to use power as a training tool, but since our spin bikes at the gym give us the data anyway I was thinking it might be interesting to understand it better. The spin bikes also give us a speed, but it's the magical "there's no wind resistance here" speed which is totally unrealistic. (The first time I saw my speed I looked over at Travers and asked if my bike was broken, because there's no way to go that speed in real life.)

      Delete