Sunday, August 17, 2014

Last entry of documented training week

Posted by Rachel

It's finally here- the last day that I will post the excruciating details of my training. I'm also going to give a quick overview of the Oakland Triathlon bike course, in case any participants are stalking the internet and looking for something like this.

Saturday:
12 mile flat run at MLK Shoreline. It was warm and a little bit rough. The pace would've reflected this sluggishness if a fellow blogger (I won't mention any names Sandi) hadn't decided to make the last 5k a race. It's ok though, it meant we got finished sooner and made it to Stag's just in time to beat the line!

If you live in or near Oakland, seriously just go here

Sunday:
32 mile bike ride. This is a little bit short on miles for a peak week, but I felt I've done plenty of hilly 50 or 60 milers.. way more than necessary for a flat Olympic distance tri. I needed to go grocery shopping and do some chores so I saved time by skipping the extra 20-30 miles :p We rode the loop of the Oakland Triathlon bike course* (described in detail below for any random internet stalkers who are wondering) and then Skyline. 

And that's a week of training in Rachel's life. I'll mention here that Travers crashed his bike today by running into a giant piece of asphalt, which is basically the same thing that got me a couple months ago. Watch out for these things, people... they can sneak up on you!!

Oakland bike course:
I didn't ride this course exactly between miles 2.5 and 4.5 but the rest is legit. So below outlines the part of the course I did ride. The course is mostly flat although you will notice slight changes in your pace due to gradual elevation changes. The course CAN be windy although in the morning it's usually not too bad, and it's almost always from the west-ish.
North on Broadway to 30th: This part is net uphill (although << 100 ft, so barely noticeable). Pavement quality varies although may be better when the lane is closed.
Left on 31st: There is a one block incline shortly after the turn that most will have to gear down for, and there are speed bumps throughout this section that I wouldn't take in aero (disclaimer: I'm not a great biker). I skipped some of this part heading west today, but I know that once you hit Mandela the pavement should be nice. Net downhill, but again barely noticeable as the net change is pretty much insignificant.
Right on Grand to Frontage & 7th: Another short (~1 block) incline before the left turn, then downhill after you make the left on Frontage. At the end of Frontage through 7th, you go down under some underpasses to cross freeways that are a little bit torn up. They were actually filling in a lot of the holes when I rode by today, but the pavement is still less than ideal in some parts so use caution. 
Out and back on Maritime: The pavement in this section isn't smooth, but it's ride-able.
Port of Oakland: Once you curve around 7th to Middle Harbor, you have a tail wind and some decent pavement the rest of the way. There are 3 "speed bumps" on Middle Harbor that are very gradual/low height + low slope.  Most riders could probably take those in aero. 
Throughout the entire course, there are several sets of (unused) railroad tracks you will cross. Most of them are 45 to 90 degrees to the direction you'll be riding so there shouldn't be too much of a chance of getting caught up in them as long as you're paying attention. I usually turn my wheel but just slightly when going over most of these and I'm way overcautious.

I still have mixed feelings about an urban triathlon course, but I do love Oakland so we'll see how it goes in 2 weeks!

4 comments:

  1. mmmmmm...Stag's...yummmm!

    What nutrition did you use during the 12 miler, and what nutrition did you use during the bike ??? ;)

    -Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Man, Sandi and Rachel are way ahead of me, and this feels like race pace... sigh... wait... this IS race pace! WTF?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you know that pace was NOT my fault!

      (PS- Tell blogger Brandon he can read about the bike course here!)

      Delete
  3. That sandwich looks amazing! Poor Travers! Both of you have now suffered my greatest fear and are still biking, so I guess there is hope!

    ReplyDelete