Sunday, June 21, 2015

IM Canada: Week 19 – Chen’s version (i.e., that one time we worked out six times in a single day)

Posted by Chen

Today’s triple brick workout will definitely go down as one of the crazier things I’ll ever do in this lifetime. I met Rachel and Travers at Inspiration Point in Orinda at 7:45am, and we didn’t pull out of the parking lot to leave until 5:45pm. In between, we biked 23.6 miles, ran 6 miles, biked 28 miles, ran 6 miles, biked 23.6 miles, and ran 4 final miles. And it was nuts. And that’s all I have the energy to type about it for now J. More details below!

Saw this sign far too many times today

The view from Inspiration Point

SO HAPPY TO BE DONE

IM Canada Week 19 Recap:

Monday: 
  • Rest. I saw a word-of-the-day on Instagram that really aptly described how I felt that day (and many other days this training cycle): exhaustipated – too tired to give a $h!t. I could have worked out that day, but I really didn’t want to, and I decided I wasn’t going to let myself feel guilty about it. Also, I have already incorporated that delightful word into my daily vocabulary.
Tuesday: 
  • PM: Stationary biking easy/moderate: 65 minutes 19.37 miles (17.9mph)
  • Immediately followed by swimming 2500 yards, consisting of 5x(250swim, 250 pull) (average pace of 1:46/100yd). My pull times are usually comically slower than my swim times, so I was excited that they actually came somewhat close during this workout:
    • (4:27, 4:35)
    • (4:24, 4:31)
    • (4:21, 4:29)
    • (4:19, 4:26)
    • (4:18, 4:28)
Wednesday: 
  • PM: Trainer Road FTP test. I was so excited to finally get Trainer Road set up on my computer, and I eagerly got on my bike to see where my FTP was at. The workout was tough, though I admittedly didn’t push as hard as I could have, because I always fear bonking. At the end, I looked up to see what my value was, only to see… nothing. While troubleshooting my ANT+ stick earlier, I had somehow disabled VirtualPower, and when I realized this, it was the saddest thing ever. Guess I’ll have to re-do the test next week… 16.63 miles in 1:00:00 (16.6mph)
Thursday: 
  • PM: Running Bay Trail steady state: 1 mile warm-up (8:06), 8 miles steady state (7:46, 7:44, 7:44, 7:43, 7:46, 7:46, 7:38, 7:34), 1.15 miles cool-down (8:01, 7:40 (0.15)); Overall: 10.15 miles in 1:18:56 (~7:47)
  • Immediately followed by swimming 3000 yards continuously (average pace of 1:51/100yd). I’m not sure if these continuous swims actually improve my fitness level, but they certainly do wonders for my mental confidence!
Friday: 
  • PM: Very easy trainer ride: 10 miles 43:36 (13.8mph). I got home from a dinner at 10pm after having a couple glasses of wine and very much wanted to skip this workout, but I refused to have yet another unplanned rest day in the week. So I half-@$$ed a spin and mostly watched TV :P.
Saturday: 
  • AM: Easy run in GGP: 5.45 miles in 47:31 (~8:43 pace). I was supposed to go open water swimming that morning, but when my alarm went off at 6am, I knew it wasn’t happening. The exhaustipation continued.
Sunday: 
  • AM/PM: Triple brick madness with Rachel and Travers:
    • Bike #1: 23.6 miles ~2280ft of gain (~13.8mph)
    • Run #1: 6 miles ~440ft of gain (~8:45 pace)
    • Bike #2: 28 miles ~2220ft of gain (~14.6mph)
    • Run #2: 6 miles ~440ft of gain (~8:30 pace)
    • Bike #3: 23.6 miles ~2280ft of gain (~13.8mph)
    • Run #3: 4 miles ~300ft of gain (~8:32 pace)
    • OVERALL BIKE: 75.2 miles (~14.0mph)
    • OVERALL RUN: 16 miles (~8:36 pace)

10 comments:

  1. I. am. so. exhaustipated. Let the record show I am going to bed now, at 8:50, without ironing my work clothes. Luckily, I have one non-wrinkled outfit left. Besides this triple brick, my productivity score for the weekend = 0.

    Thanks for joining the triple brick! I hope you don't regret it (I'm not sure yet if I do or don't). I also owe you a huge thanks for taking me to a party AND recommending a killer Lifetime movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry - my lack of chore-doing puts your lack of chore-doing to shame. I haven't been to a grocery store since like February. True Life.

      - Chen

      Delete
  2. Solid workout! When I first heard about the triple brick, I had no interest at all, but sounds like you're about ready for this thing after that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solid workout! When I first heard about the triple brick, I had no interest at all, but sounds like you're about ready for this thing after that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solid workout! When I first heard about the triple brick, I had no interest at all, but sounds like you're about ready for this thing after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're planning to do something like this, I would recommend doing it soon to space it out from the race. I'm not sure how long the recovery will be, but I'm definitely feeling it today!

      Delete
    2. Ditto. I had a meeting on the second floor today and had to pause when I reached the top of the stairs to let the lactic acid flush from my legs.

      - Chen

      Delete
  5. I will admit that the layered brick sounds exhausting. However it also sounds incredibly fun and i am sorry i couldnt join in. If it werent for the opposite coast livi ng situation, i totally would have been there. Although i would have preferred doing it on saturday :). That extra day before monday seems like a must in my mind.


    -sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard to do it on a Saturday when you're too busy drinking!

      Delete
    2. You would have LOVED this workout, Sands. I bet you would have gone for a fourth round :)

      - Chen

      Delete