Sunday, June 14, 2015

IM Canada: Week 18 – Chen’s version (i.e., business as usual)

Posted by Chen

I don’t have anything particularly noteworthy to say about this week, except that after weeks of travel and other random life hurdles, I finally got through an entire 7-day span without taking an unplanned rest day. Thank the good lord. Hoping the next 6 weeks go just as smoothly.

And with that, onto my weekly recap!

IM Canada Week 18 Recap:

Monday: 
  • PM: Easy recovery trainer ride: 15 miles 1:04:58 (13.9mph). I was so tired after work that I ended up falling asleep and didn’t wake up until 9:30pm when Brandon got home from a dinner. Not wanting to start the week off with a rest day, I forced myself to get on the trainer at 10pm for an easy recovery ride. Crazytown, USA.
Tuesday: 
  • PM: Running Bay Trail tempo ladder: 9.2 miles (~7:46 pace): Goal: warm-up mile, 8:00, 7:45, 7:30, 7:15, 7:30, 7:45, 8:00, cool-down mile; Actual: 8:21, 8:03, 7:44, 7:32, 7:07, 7:27, 7:35, 7:54, 8:05, 8:13 (0.2). During work that day, Rachel told me that this was her plan for her evening run, and I decided to copy her. In case you’ve been following and have been wondering, you’re correct – I have no original training ideas and only know how to imitate others
  • Immediately followed by swimming 2200 yards, including 10x100 on 2:00: 1:43, 1:44, 1:43, 1:44, 1:45, 1:44, 1:44, 1:45, 1:44, 1:44 (overall average pace of 1:48/100yd)
Wednesday: 
  • PM: Stationary ride moderate effort: 30.3 miles 1:37:59 (18.6mph). I’ve recently taken to watching Hulu on my iPhone at the gym to catch up on shows, which usually results in me staying on the bike longer than I otherwise would. Winning all around.
Thursday: 
  • PM: Running Bay Trail easy: 6.5 miles (no Garmin) – this was my first watch-less run in a couple months, and it was pretty nice to not worry about pace and just… run
  • Immediately followed by swimming 3000 yards – swim/pull ladder (average pace of 1:49/100yd)
Friday: 
  • PM: Swimming 3250 yards, including random swim and pull intervals (average pace of 1:47/100yd). Paige and I went to the Koret Center at USF, which has an amazing pool, but unless you’re a student/member, it’s a $20 drop-in fee, so we don’t go often. But look how pretty!
Massive, gorgeous pool

Saturday: 
  • PM: Biking East Bay hills with Rachel and Travers: 63.5 miles, ~5600ft of climbing, 13.8mph. Then I ate a lot of delicious food.
Cucumber salad, gyoza, and seafood/vegetable udon noodle soup. I.e., all of the noms

Sunday:
  • AM: 20-mile long run along the SF Embarcadero: 2:57:30 (~8:53 average pace): My legs felt pretty heavy after the previous day’s ride, but I ran 8 of these miles with my old coworkers, who luckily like to take their time and chat, so overall, I felt pretty decent on this run
  • PM: Biking in Healdsburg: 19.4 miles 1:08:08 (17.1 mph): Paige had to pick up his Kokomo wine shipment, so we headed up north to Healdsburg and did a quick ride before picking up and tasting. After the weekend’s adventures, my legs were a little bit angry at me at first, but they eventually loosened up and cooperated. We also tasted across the way at Papapietro Perry, and I somehow became a member today. Funny how that happened.

Wine tasting on a sunny afternoon is kind of the best

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the "somehow became a member" phenomenon. We know it well. That's how I ended up a member at Campovida, although I don't regret that one at all.

    Anyway, solid week of training! By the way, my mom never comments on here but she told me on the phone that she likes your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something tells me I won't regret my Papapietro membership either.

      Aw, thanks Mrs. Marullo! Looking forward to seeing you and the fam in Canadia! :)

      - Chen

      Delete
  2. It was you in the yellow shirt yesterday! Btw, this is Nicki, I met you at dinner before CIM last year, and now I just stalk you on the Embarcadero ;). Anyway you were making 20 look like no big deal. Keep it up, loiking forward to hearing about the Whistler adventure in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello hello! That's too funny that you were on the Embarcadero at the same time - if only I'd known! I ended up running the same stretch back and forth 3 times that day. The things we do for mileage. Hope all is well with you!!

      - Chen

      Delete