Sunday, July 19, 2015

Rachel's IM Canada training: week 23 (of 24)

Posted by Rachel

Ok, so this thing is really happening. My bike is on its way. I've got 3 suitcases mostly packed and ready to go. Reality is settling in now... we are going to have to do an Ironman. I'm not sure whether I'm excited or terrified.

This week I of course continued on with this taper which I'm completely winging. Here's my weekly summary.

Monday
am- 4200 yard swim (I decided on a 1 week taper for the swim, so not starting yet)
pm- Trainer Road/ Cartwright (60 min)

Tuesday
am- 3000 yard swim with 1200 of it within a hard-ish set
pm- 7 mile run alternate 1 wu/2 comfortably hard/1 easy/2 comfortably hard/1 cd (7:47 average pace)

Wednesday
Trainer Road South Twin 1 (50 min with 2 x (2 x 2 min @ 120% FTP))- even though only 8 min of the workout were hard, I realized that 120% of FTP is quite hard after about 30 sec or so.

Thursday
5 mile run easy (no watch)

Friday
2800 yard swim

Saturday
31.3 miles flat biking, fun tour of Alameda. I felt pretty strong and got some good stretches in aero.
I can't wait until my bike rides are like this again. We rode for 2 hours, not 8. We explored an old naval base and some other really cool spots we hadn't been before while still managing to ride some sections very hard and get a good workout in.

I never stop appreciating how amazing it is to be able to live and train in the Bay area

Navy jet

There was a winery right near these boats! Unfortunately, the ride wasn't so casual that we stopped in. I'll be back soon enough, wineries. 

Sunday
10 mile run  (8:26 pace) - my running legs felt great, but I ended the run feeling dehydrated and slightly sluggish due to the really abnormally hot/humid weather. Overall good though!


3 comments:

  1. Holy crap!! It's almost time! You need to post your info so I can track you! That picture is beautiful. Biking may not be your favorite (or mine) but can't beat that view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna do the fun tour 'o Alameda sometime! Also, WE'RE HERE, HOLY CRAP!!!

    - Chen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel, Travers, Chen, Matt, and Katie!
    I just want to wish you all the best as you do this awesome feat! Tim and I will be following you on line this Sunday!! (we have your bib numbers) Enjoy your pre-race eating and GOOD LUCK!!!!
    Lois
    PS... I hope you keep this blog going because it's been fun reading about all your adventures these past few months!

    ReplyDelete