Monday, July 14, 2014

The Un-Training Plan

Posted by Will 

Last Saturday started the 1-month countdown to the Paavo Nurmi Marathon that Sandi and I are running.  Normally this is the point in time when I’m thinking about getting my last quality long run in before the taper starts.  99% of the work has been done so I usually am just looking to get in a 2.5-3 hour run where I’m consistently hitting my paces.  This is more of a mental benefit and confidence booster than anything else.  Unfortunately I will have to change my normal routine considering that I started my training plan yesterday with a breath-taking run in San Francisco.




Breath-taking…not because of the views, but because 1,300+ feet of elevation (including stairs and sand) made it almost impossible to breath.   The 18 miles I logged yesterday was more than most of my weekly mileage totals since the Oakland Marathon in March.  Next weekend I will try to get another long run in before the “taper” that I don’t feel like I really earned in the first place.

I think this comparison shows nicely the difference between finishing a hard training plan and trying to play catch-up after spending 4 months in Lazyville.  The left splits are my last long run before CIM and the right splits are yesterday’s long run.

I will have to do better before Santa Barbara in November.
Will

3 comments:

  1. Well you could use Paavo as the beginning of an awesome training cycle for Santa Barbara. You know, let the focus of this mesocycle be base building :p. And yes, I do plan to use all the running terms I learned from the RRCA Coaching Class :D.

    -Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry - most of my weekly running totals for the past 8 weeks or so have hovered around the 10-15 mile mark, and I have a full 'thon in less than 2 weeks. It should go really well. I'll be sure to report back.

    (Awesome post).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, awesome post. You can't directly compare those two runs because of the elevation, but you also can't expect to run all pre-CIM-like without training :p I think the solution here is pretty easy, Will and Chen- stop signing up for so many marathons :p

    ReplyDelete